Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Spyder

12/27 Lots of bass and a workout

Lauched the yak late today out of SI around 10:00am. Conditions looked good with a low tide , only a slight wind, and sunny skies.

Hit up my first location for a handful of fiesty spotties. Moved into deeper water for some grumps that wanted to play. Fishing was pretty steady for the next hour or so.

Yes, thing were going great for the first couple of hours..............until I started to paddled to another spot and my paddle broke in half.

Unfortunately I was on the other side of the bay about a mile & half from the launch. Paddling a Cobra Fish & Dive with a normal paddle is hard enough..... I took a paddle in each hand and started digging my way back across the bay. The wind was blowing in my face and then I noticed all the traffic zipping around. I just focused on a point across the bay and made like a deranged robot . At one point I attempted to wave down a passing Navy Security boat but all they did was wave back . I gave up on using the 2 paddles and switched to one and did the canoe stroke. Finally made it back across with my shoulders screaming,

Other than my equipment malfunction, it was a good day of fishing. C&R'ed probably 12 spotties & 8 sandies.

Peace,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
JimPat

Had a paddle break on me once but after reading your post I guess I was lucky since it happened at the launch. Was a bummer though after geting up at O dark 30 to get on the water early. Sat there for an hour asking everyone who followed if they had an extra for no luck.

Recommend a radio even in the bay, I am sure had you hailed someone for a tow you would have been hooked up.

Great time to buy a new paddle now.

TL,
Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
lamb

Nice fish!

Glad to hear you made it back OK.

For such paddle incidents, you can probably go to OEX and ask to borrow a paddle from the rental fleet. I'm sure they'll help you out, I know they have in the past.

Mention you read you can do it on Big Water's Edge... For LJ shop, also add that everyone is talking how John is really good looking guy... For Rosecrans shop, the same thing just say Brent is a handsome one...
Old 12-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #4
Lord Matthew34
Mad Yakker

Nice haul. Bummer on the paddle, at least you weren't in LJ with big surf...
Lord Matthew34 is offline   Reply With Quote