Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
chisgirl54
Junior

my first fishing report

Well we went out on Saturday at Cabrillo beach. It was my first dark launch and my 3rd trip on my kayak. Hubby had the Gopro (was hoping he wasnt taping me) he went to the bait barge to get us some bait. He comes back with sardines that was really big any bigger and I would think they was baby mackerel. Turned on bait tank and boy i had a big surprise my feet and butt got soaked. i didnt know I had to take the plug out of the bottom of the tank thought it would recycle thru the side boy was I ever wrong lol. So to finish out the day it got real choppy out there and boats flying by and tossing me around like a rag doll I told hubby lets call it a day I am wet and cold. So the fish won that day. Fish 1 me 0
chisgirl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

Sounds like a usual scenario for Cabrillo...
At least all you got was wet from the bait tank...lesson learned, you will get em next time
Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
jorluivil

At least you got out and like Brett said, its just a regular day at Cabrillo. I'll be out there this coming weekend on Sunday.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

But why is it just a " regular day" ive had action every time i went am i just lucky?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
But why is it just a " regular day" ive had action every time i went am i just lucky?
'Choppy out there and boats flying by'

Old 10-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
chisgirl54
Junior

yea but I found out why I was so wet when i had waders on stupid things had a hole in them lol need new ones those was hubbys lol
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisgirl54 View Post
yea but I found out why I was so wet when i had waders on stupid things had a hole in them lol need new ones those was hubbys lol
Hand me downs

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
'Choppy out there and boats flying by'
Oh yeah usual cabrillo lol. And nice report chisgirl i fish there too maybe you guys can join me sometime. Just watch the wind frecasts. Its kind of scary when your far from the launch and you already see people with their sailboats sailing around
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
chitown54

yea we were out there I tell you some boats just think they own the whole place im hanging onto the bait barge waiting while the sport boats get there bait and this 30' plus yacht comes past the barge like 40' away at full speed the wake slammed me into the side of the barge and like 1' of water washed across the deck glad i didnt crack I hit the dock hard. Hobies built to last lol
chitown54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Well we went out on Saturday at Cabrillo beach. It was my first dark launch and my 3rd trip on my kayak. Hubby had the Gopro (was hoping he wasnt taping me) he went to the bait barge to get us some bait. He comes back with sardines that was really big any bigger and I would think they was baby mackerel. Turned on bait tank and boy i had a big surprise my feet and butt got soaked. i didnt know I had to take the plug out of the bottom of the tank thought it would recycle thru the side boy was I ever wrong lol. So to finish out the day it got real choppy out there and boats flying by and tossing me around like a rag doll I told hubby lets call it a day I am wet and cold. So the fish won that day. Fish 1 me 0
I was out there as well that day. I believe I was the only other yak fisherman out there besides your group. I spoke with your husband right before I hit the barge. Got hit real hard but whatever it was let go. I immediately dropped the line again and it started peeling line off. I'm not sure if the booger cut my line or if I tightened the drag too much but the line was cut right above the hook. The rest of the day was real slow and cold. Got bumped out my more favorite fishing spots by the coast guard. Got surveyed by a dfg when I landed.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
chisgirl54
Junior

it was funny before we went out the cops pulled a guy over and he said someone stole his wallet and had no money to get out. but i guess the guy was drunk. lol so we got lucky on missing the dfg guy as well not that im illegal cuz im not all legal eagle here.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown54 View Post
yea we were out there I tell you some boats just think they own the whole place im hanging onto the bait barge waiting while the sport boats get there bait and this 30' plus yacht comes past the barge like 40' away at full speed the wake slammed me into the side of the barge and like 1' of water washed across the deck glad i didnt crack I hit the dock hard. Hobies built to last lol
Tell me about it, last time i was there a 100+ foot yacht came by at full speed and left probably a 3 foot wake that i had to go through. To tell you the truth i shit myself when it came towards me but the prowler 13 just glided over it. I did get a little wet though. Send me a message when you guys go, how does this week sound ?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
OutdoorAdvntr

hi, i have not been there yet.. but where do you guys go fishing, inside the barrier? or outside of it? thanks!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Turned on bait tank and boy i had a big surprise my feet and butt got soaked. i didnt know I had to take the plug out of the bottom of the tank thought it would recycle thru the side boy was I ever wrong lol.
I had this same issue. First thing you can do is remove the two (or just 1) black triangle drain plugs. But sardines can swim out of that area. Or, you can drill a hole in them but that didn't work much better for me. I ended up cutting them in half and that works perfectly. You can also adjust the water flow by turning the valve to a more closed setting.

The bottom drain plug stays in until you are ready to drain the tank.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
fyrfytrfish

Cabrillo beach

Hey all where exactly is this Cabrillo beach. I hear a lot about it
fyrfytrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
jruiz
Large Member

Here's the boat launch that many use or you can go from the beach
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.71...num=1&t=h&z=19
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote