Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Spyder

8/24 Personal Best Halibut off La Jolla

Met up with Sherm at the shores at 0430. Had a bit of a painful launch (story later ). My plan was to try and get my first kayak yellowtail since my son (Masta) got his on Saturday.

Wind was blowing harder & harder as we paddled out to try for bait. The water went from choppy to whites caps. This kept up the entire morning. The only forgiving thing was that both the wind & water was warm.

Made several nice spanish macs for bait and headed to over to where the YT have been caught.

Couple hours went by and not even a nibble. I sent my last mac down on a dropper loop and let it soak. I was going to reel in and move after a bit so I started to reel in then my rod loaded up. I thought I was in kelp until I felt a couple head shakes. Got the gaff ready and reeled it in. Came up to color, man it was beautiful. Missed 3 times with the gaff and finally nailed him. It went beserk all over my lap while slapping me in the face. A spike to the head slowed that shit down .

My personal best flattie so far . Measured out just over 34" and thick. Sherm was kind enough to snap a few on the water and beach pics, thanks bud.

Now for the launch story. Was standing in the surf waiting for the sets to go by, jumped into the yak and onto my gaff. It went through my dry pants, board shorts, and into my left ass cheek . As I'm trying to pull it out another set comes in and I get hit with a wave. Finally pulled it out and got on my way. Lucky for me it only went in about 1/2 inch or so and my tetnus in up to date. Guess you could say I gaffed 2 butts yesterday.

Peace,

Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
Zed
BANNED

That'll leave a mark.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
silverbullet
Crusty Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silverbullet
HA!! great story...I am ass-uming that both butts were legal.

Bobby
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Awesome way to turn the day from one gaffed butt to another. I don't think the mods will let you claim 2 butts for wcw though...

Congrats!!

Oh boy.... here come the Puns...

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
Awesome way to turn the day from one gaffed butt to another. I don't think the mods will let you claim 2 butts for wcw though...

Congrats!!

Oh boy.... here come the Puns...
If they let him claim the butt he gaffed in the surf it would probably weigh in around 230 lol Nice catch wingman!!! Glad I was there to see it. I thought you were going to break your jaw with the size of the smile you had going. See you after you get back from Big Bear. Moyer Tourney is just around the corner.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
GHOSTHUNTR

Pretty funny.
GHOSTHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
lamb

Nice halibut Spyder!