Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
emrliquidlife

Redondo King Harbor PM report

I was excited about fishing a tide that was +6.55 feet. However the wind at King Harbor did not help me a bit.

I found the conditions to be less than thrilling when I launched at 6:30 p.m. The swell plus the chop gave me a joy ride, but very little ability to fish. Looking for a ride, I did drop a sabiki to make bait. In my half an hour joy ride of the up and down waves, I didn't catch a thing. The drop from the waves gave me a thrill though. When the wave would drop me in between, I got a large slap from the bottom of the boat. Kind of like a free roller coaster.

I paddled back into the harbor and found the drifts to be way to fast. So live bait fishing seemed to be out of the question. I switched to plastics and went to a spot that I had fished back in June when this all started. Sure enough the fish were there. Got a 11 inch Calico to beat the skunk. A few casts later, I hooked into a bigger fish. A Calico runs to the rocks, this one went to open water. Up comes a 15" Sand Bass.

Okay, so I'm thinking of going for a grand slam. I would just need a Spotted Bay Bass. I kept fishing my fishy spot but ran into a...ummm issue. There was a dock nearby with seals, and occasionally they would go ballastic. That was fine and dandy until after 10 p.m. when I was feeling bad. Mostly, I thought it was because the seals were arguing for sleeping space, but I figure they didn't want me near. A neighbor who lives in the residential complex started coming out of the patio and staring at me. I did the respectful thing, and left to keep the seals quite, but losing my fishy area impacted my results. The bite slowed considerably. Since it was later, and the winds had died down, I thought of going outside the breakwall, but wanting to get a Spotty kept me inside the breakwall.

In all I got 4 Calicos, 3 Sand Bass and a Sculpin. This simple thought of getting a Grand Slam kept me on the water till 12:30 a.m. Way too late, but fun all the same.

I tried to video tape some of the fun, but need to edit, upload, etc
emrliquidlife is offline   Reply With Quote