Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Famous2146

Got it paddle paddle and paddle some more check and double check safety gear and always expect the worst. Above all else be safe and have fun.
Famous2146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

I went about 7 miles offshore one time with the scallywag in a tandem Hobie. There was a school of greenback that kept heading west so we just followed it hoping for YT or YF. Before we realized it, we were off of OB/ point loma area and had to peddle our asses all the way back up to LJ against the current. No GPS, but for sure nearly 20 miles covered that day in about 14 hours. We didn't bring nearly enough nutrition.

Not to mention the only thing we caught on the greenbacks were 2 massive mako sharks who didn't have much interest in fighting on the line. They just swam straight in to our "boat", after jumping 8 feet in the air repeatedly. This happened twice, we would cut the mako off and they would just keep following us for the next hour, circling and free jumping to see where we were. Super gnarly. I regularly spearfish the kelp... and I have never felt so vulnerable while fishing.

Have fun out there and be safe!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

most i've gone is 6-7 miles off shore. thats about where you cant see land anymore and just make out high risers. you would be able to see la jolla no problem though. just make sure you have enough food and water/gatorade to keep you going. keep your skin covered and stash your cell phone in a dry bag or container and keep it on you and make sure you have all other appropriate safety gear.

its really not that difficult. I wouldn't do it alone but its definitely worth doing. also if you get pushed north or south too far and get tired, make a beach landing anywhere along the coast and you can taxi it to your truck. the buddy system is ideal here so you don't have to find a taxi willing to load a yak on top. haha.
there aren't many places along California coast you would get stranded. Even if you landed on white beach.. somebody will come to see who you are.