Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

La Jolla Report 6/4/2011

Went down to San Diego to go pickup a thule rack system for my car for $45.00 HE WAS GIVING IT AWAY!!!!he had the keys n locks. so why not take the kayak . With the thule rack on my car instead of the minivan. I can load up my car up with the kayak the night before inside of my garage instead of loading everything in the morning outside of the garage since my garage is in the alleyway.

Well back to my story, my mom calls me up on Friday and ask me what I am doing. I told her I am going to San Diego to go pick up some stuff and go kayaking.

So then mother ask me if she can go?

I said sure, but I am leaving at 4am since it takes me 2 hours to get to San Diego. She said okay ...

So i go back to the garage and install the Thule J thing a ma jig so i can put on another kayak on top of the minivan. I then decided to load the kayaks and run the security cable through them in the alleyway. I then take the minivan to the front of the house and drive up my lawn to block my front door. It take me literally like an hour to load 2 yaks on my minivan. I didn't want to do that in the morning. I did not want hookers,pimps, good for nothing people to jack my stuff so... I also made one of my dogs sleep next to the door to guard my yaks.

Well... i didn't get an ounce of sleep and Bam 3:30 am is here. I grab the keys and head to my moms house where she is ready.

Fast Forward... 2 hours with no sleep

We arrive at La Jolla like at 6:15am just to find A FLEET OF KAYAK FISHERMAN SETTING UP!!!! (must of been like 10 people)...

Well i unload and join them met some of the regulars and some new faces...

I told my mom to put on the kokatat Super large pants and velcro them tight and a heavy jacket and PFD. I show her how to paddle, and Here we are waiting for the lull.

by this time 85% of the kayak fisherman have already headed to make bait and mother was having second thoughts...

So the lull comes, i am standing knee deep in water... I tell my mom to jump on and paddle straight....I give her a push and on she goes past the waves just like a pro...

I run back and get my blue x-factor turn around.... AND BAM there is my mother doing a complete 180 back to the SURF ZONE

I start yelling turn AROUND AND GO STRAIGHT.

She says WHAT!!!!

3 small waves come and wash her back to shore, She jumps off the kayak and is able to walk off with out getting too soaked.

The kayak is flipped upside down and she is laughing....

So then fine... I give her another lesson on how to turn around and how to go straight and i tell her don't stop until you get past the surf line....so once more we are waiting for the lulls and push her off past the surf she makes it over and clear!!!!

but wait...

She is not stopping....
SHE KEEP going and going and going ......

I try to shout and tell her to wait but she can't hear me.....

So i run and get my yak wait for the lull and bam im out....

But where is mother....

SHES AT THE YELLOW bouy and still going.

I paddle as fast as i can, I see a seal looking at mother. AND MOTHER IS PADDLING EVEN FASTER. I am using the super heavy paddle and my mom is using the super light paddle and i am BEAT!!!

I finally get to her, and ask her why are you trying to cross the border.

The first thing she says is" DID YOU SEE THAT SHARK " I told her mom that was a seal. I asked her why didn't you wait for me...

She said because the waves were pushing her back to the surf zone and she didn't want to fall, so she was trying to making it the fishing charter boat because that where the fish are she said....

So i spoke with her that this were actually swells andexplained that the only real danger is the Surf Zone and the PBERS wakes.... so she got it.

Pretty slow day i made bait, i saw some big arches but they were not moving (with any bait i presented them) Except for those pesky lizard fish.... The slaughter fishing boat was there too but i didn't see them catch anything. I heard from a few other kayak fisherman is was super slow except for a couple and the swells started picking up as well as the wind so they all started going back in because of the slow day and so we joined them.

My my mom said her shoulders hurt and now she wanted to go back. This was like 12pm. So i am now giving my mom a lesson on how to make it back and once you close to the beach you can just jump out because the sand is like knee deep.

So we wait for the lull and mother decides to take the upcoming wave. tTo my surprise She actually makes it to the beach but another way tosses her over in 1 ft water....

But she was prepared she brought another set of clothes. I make it back without a scratch. FUN DAY. i got a used car rack for my car. No keepers.

Drove back I am super sleepy gn...

BTW... Mother said she will go with again...

I still can't get my wife to budge....

Last edited by wiredantz; 06-05-2011 at 08:39 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
YakMedic

Cool story, sorry about the lack of fish but kayaking with your mom will be a memory that will stay with you forever.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
bubblehide

Wow, to cool on both your parts, now that's an adventuresome mom
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Podaker

sounds like fun, can't beat a day on the water with mom.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
roby
CEO of Team Roby

MRS. DARK NACHOS!!!

stinkymatt says he wants to go with your mom next time on a tandem....Matt will do all the paddling.....AND he will sit up front.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

an instant classic! Your day is coming, keep us entertained until then
Old 06-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Vikingj

Cool mom! I didn't see her with any fishing gear. Are you afraid to provide her with some gear? Looks like she could be real dangerous! Thanks for sharing,
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingj View Post
Cool mom! I didn't see her with any fishing gear. Are you afraid to provide her with some gear? Looks like she could be real dangerous! Thanks for sharing,
Wayne

I wanted her to get the feel of the yak first so the next time she goes I'll get her a one day pass.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Very cool Mom!!!! She's such a trooper.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
blitzburgh

That's good stuff right there.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Flyfisher70

Awesome report! Kept me smiling the whole read through. Get your mom some fishing gear and an annual fishing license and you have yourself the best fishing partner in the world, well aside from maybe dad.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Very entertaining read!!! Mom has big Nachos!!
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher70 View Post
Awesome report! Kept me smiling the whole read through. Get your mom some fishing gear and an annual fishing license and you have yourself the best fishing partner in the world, well aside from maybe dad.
I would love to fish with dad, but my dad died when I was two. So I can't wait until my son is old enough to teach him how to fish. Nachos jr. To come in a few years

@ Greg

I couldnt believe my mother decided to go. the whole way there I kept thinking this is going to be some experience .

Thanks for reading everyone

Last edited by wiredantz; 06-05-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
"jjcawjj"

LOL!!! Great Read, Great report!! Was out there at 5:30 till 11am today. Didn't see or hear of any Big Trophy Fishes being caught . But it was Beautiful day to be out!!!
"jjcawjj" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
StinkyMatt

Frank, your chit is always so funny. Love reading your fish, roll in surf, Mom reports.

Next Friday, don't know where, but I'm fishing, and Saturday and Sunday too.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
mtnbykr2

Alright Frank,
another great report, way to go Mom...get out there, somehow it comes as no surprise you mom can paddle faster than you...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
MRS. DARK NACHOS!!!

stinkymatt says he wants to go with your mom next time on a tandem....Matt will do all the paddling.....AND he will sit up front.
matt sure knows his place in the world....

hey frank, your mom raised a good nacho....you are one of a kind and so is your mom. congrats to her; my mom just came back from a cruise to alaska and she was sea sick the whole time......
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote