Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
shawny

Question All-around vehicle for outdoorsmen?

Hi everyone, so I'm graduating college and working soon, and I'm looking into purchasing a new or lightly used vehicle for everyday use. Activities that I currently like to do include: fishing, surfing, snowboarding, camping, and road biking. Activities I hope to get into soon include: KAYAK FISHING and mountain biking.

My total budget is 20-30k, but hope to keep it as low in the 20s as possible. Prefer vehicle that can seat at least 4 and with at least an average of 20mpg. This vehicle will not only be used for outdoor adventures (i.e. camping Big Sur road trips) but also 10-20min everyday school/work commutes and monthly visits to the OC (~90mi).

I'm currently showing interest in a new base model Honda CRV (w/roof rack of course), new access cab Toyota Tacoma, or used supercab Ford F150.

I know y'all are a nice bunch of superoutdoorsmen, so any suggestions or advice on what vehicle I should get or look into? THANKS!!

Last edited by shawny; 04-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
socal.beach.bum

Quad cab taco prerunner. I get an avg of 21mpg, and it has served me well. 4x4 if you are into that, but will sacrifice a few mpg.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
Quad cab taco prerunner. I get an avg of 21mpg, and it has served me well. 4x4 if you are into that, but will sacrifice a few mpg.
x5
Been serving me well for 6 years. But i'm getting more like 16.5mpg Dam mini lift a slightly bigger tires. I snowboard, fish, camp, typical socal stuff and even did a few truck trails and in six years I only wished I had 4x4 twice. Both times I was in mammoth on heavy show but the chains did the job. If you have the money go 4x4 off road package. If not the SR5 double cab v6 is awesome don't bother with the sport model its all looks, it performs the same as the SR5. An SR5 short bed should run you around 24k out the door and loaded Offroad 4x4 package will be over 30k.

Last edited by Raskal311; 04-28-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Mongo Johnson

Crew cab pickup with normal bed. Good all-round utility. Yaks (even 13') can be easily loaded in bed. Lots of seating. Versatile.

Downsides will be gas mileage but some newer models have improved . . . maybe a stiffer "truck" ride but lots of flex in carrying stuff, higher clearance, ease of access and tie down.

4 X 4 really isn't needed by most folks, nor are Tonka tires.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Squid Vicious
plastic navey squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Crew cab pickup with normal bed. Good all-round utility. Yaks (even 13') can be easily loaded in bed. Lots of seating. Versatile.

Downsides will be gas mileage but some newer models have improved . . . maybe a stiffer "truck" ride but lots of flex in carrying stuff, higher clearance, ease of access and tie down.

4 X 4 really isn't needed by most folks, nor are Tonka tires.
.....right !...and if you really need to tow a heavy load for some reason its a piece of cake !...I have an F-250 Diesel and haven't been happier...with all the things you do your going to need a real truck
Malibu Mini X F & D "anchovie "
Squid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
jettytaco

no short beds!!! You'll need all the room you can get. I had a Tacoma but now loving my Tundra. 15.5 mpg with lots of power and an 8 ft bed for everything I want to toss in there. Get a dualsport motorcycle while you are at it too to save MPG from your truck.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
chxh8me

Exclamation

I bought my mother-in-laws old awd CRV to use as my outdoorsman beater. It's been awesome. I seem to drive it more than my challenger. Perfect setup for camping, snowboarding, fishing, kayaking, etc... Like you are look are looking for. And as I mentioned, it's a beater (1999), so I don't care if I scratch the crap out of it. But it's been an extremely solid car for all my needs. It's not flashy, and the wife hates driving around in it with me... But I've grown attached to it.

Maybe look into a penta star v6 grand cherokee? I think that gets 25mpg highway, and you can probably find a new one in your price range. I'm digging the ecodiesel v6 that they put in the grand cherokee limited. Good gas mileage (30 highway) and rated for 7400lb towing I believe (someday I'd like to get a boat). Unfortunately they only put the ecodiesel in the limited version and higher end models which bumps it up to 40k or more. I'm still debating on getting rid of the beater and the challenger and picking one up.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
StinkyMatt

you will spend 90 -95 percent of time doing regular road driving to school and work.

Plan on taking care of that first.

Honda Ridgeline is a very nice vehicle,

seats 5 in the cab

v6 about 20 mpg if you drive nice

Its a honda and will outlive you

The trunk under the bed of the truck is bad ass! Just throw your crap in there and go. Perfect feature for the outdoors, the only truck with it.

If you put racks on it, even better. OR run a bed extender ont he days when you move a kayak........50 bucks.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

With the kind of money you plan on spending. Get a good car with good mpg for your day to day. Then get a fawk it bucket for your outdoor activity. You can get a Toyota 4 banger extended cab long bed for cheap. And they run for ever. I have a buddy who has a 89 toy. He drove it in high school. Truck has 450,000 miles + and runs like a champ. His son will be driving it next year for his first car.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #10
TCS

2006 Chevy Tahoe 4x4. As long as you don't have a PA you can easily get the kayak on the roof. All your other stuff can be locked inside. Big and heavy enough to go remote camping fully self contained, which can be a couple thousand pounds. Still comfortable and practical as a daily driver. Ilike that the surfboards or fishing gear can be loaded inside the night before I go.

I took this rig on a remote surfing/fishing trip in mexico a few weeks ago, self contained with four people and a dog off the beaten track. Worked great.

Downsides: MPG and I have had to do a few major repairs.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
tsugg
LOWSPARK

tacos !

In 2003 and in 2004 I had two ford( I've had fords my whole life) F250 diesels,first one got lemon lawed(oil leak) , second one was a replacement for the first. It got lemon lawed(tranny) as well. Reasons being factory defects that the local ford dealer couldn't repair. I loved fords but thought I'd try a chevy. Not one bit better, dealership couldn't fix defects(computer cable that was causing random things to happen)sold it.OK I'll try a toyota tacoma,that was 2007 and three baja trips ago and 75,000 miles and it runs perfect, not one rattle in it, no leaks nada runs as great as a brand new one. AND IT HAULS MY PA 14 PERFECTLY(most important)lol
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
jorluivil

Don't buy an access cab, you'll regret it. the access cabs are made to do one thing, access the cab. I once road in the back seat of an access cab, it was a 300mile round trip and I swore that I would never ride in a access cab again, I'd rather drive the 300 miles in my own truck by myself than to sit in an an area that is perfect for a 6year old.

Also, take Matt's advise and buy based on your regular day to day driving. When I bought my Tundra crew cab I was driving around with a family of four, now that my kids are 24 and 18 they're too cool to hang out with mom and pops so they will stay home and now my 13mph truck is my primary but hopefully not for long.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Crew-cab F-150, and absolutely love it! Mine is a 2003 with 190K and runs a like a champ with only minimal maintenance and service issues. Of course the mileage isn't where I'd like it to be but I figure that's compromise for the size of the truck and its capabilities. I drive for work so I am in a Taurus during the week but on the weekend we are primarily in the truck. I've looked into smaller trucks but with 3 kids under 7 it's not an ideal fit right now, otherwise I would be back in a Tacoma. Had one prior to the kids and loved it, more reliable than anything else out there with better mileage than my full-size. Have to agree with what others have said, buy based on your daily habits and outfit it for what you need. I've gone out with guys in everything from Honda sedans to Volvo wagons, with the choice in racks today there is almost no vehicle that can't be fitted to haul a kayak and fishing gear. Prior to the Taurus we had an Odyssey and that was a great vehicle for recreational activities. I liked that all my gear could be safely stored inside if I wanted to stop anywhere prior to or following fishing, plus I used it a couple times to head down the night before and just slept in the back. I even went camping one time last minute and just slept in the van instead of having to setup a tent and it was super comfy. Find something that is comfy and meets your average daily needs.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
In 2003 and in 2004 I had two ford( I've had fords my whole life) F250 diesels,first one got lemon lawed(oil leak) , second one was a replacement for the first. It got lemon lawed(tranny) as well. Reasons being factory defects that the local ford dealer couldn't repair. I loved fords but thought I'd try a chevy. Not one bit better, dealership couldn't fix defects(computer cable that was causing random things to happen)sold it.OK I'll try a toyota tacoma,that was 2007 and three baja trips ago and 75,000 miles and it runs perfect, not one rattle in it, no leaks nada runs as great as a brand new one. AND IT HAULS MY PA 14 PERFECTLY(most important)lol
yep, my 2007 has over 100k on it; no major issues.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
Redeyejedi

toyota 4x4 with an elocker
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #16
bolocop

Get a Subaru Outback. It's full-time AWD and with a 4-cyl, you get 24-30MPG.

I have an Outback and a truck, although I use the truck mostly because I have a PA (too damn heavy) now, I used to load a tandem Hobie on the Outback.

Trucks are nice, but realistically, you're gonna get 19MPG on Avg.

The Subaru Outback fits your needs perfectly, including the cost. Tacoma trucks aren't cheap! V6s get you to $30k quick.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
CKallday71

I use my Volkswagen Golf TDI for Kayak transport, hiking, camping, going to the shooting range ect. My lease is up in a few months and I'm likely going to be swapping out for one of the new TDI Sportwagens (Going to be called a Golf Sportwagen as of 2015 model year) just for extra space and built in roof rails.

I get almost 40 MPG Combined city and highway fuel economy average and I drive like an idiot most of the time.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Best all around vehicle has to be a pickup. From hauling trash or your friend's refrigerator or your kayak, to hauling camping gear or bikes and motorcycles, it's the only choice. I use mine (F150) for everything including pickup and delivery for my work. Only 15mpg average but it's a 4x4 which I haven't needed often but when I do I'm sure glad to have it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
MrM

I have two options... short and simple, any truck gets my vote.

I have a Jeep Patriot, low miles, has issues. Soon to be sold. That's another story. Anyway, It's a pain to load a kayak on top compared to putting it in a truck bed. Plenty of storage space inside though. Not the best in sand either.

My employer lets my drive around a crew cab f150, and I love that way more for transporting the kayak and gear. It's just simpler.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Get a Subaru Outback. It's full-time AWD and with a 4-cyl, you get 24-30MPG.

I have an Outback and a truck, although I use the truck mostly because I have a PA (too damn heavy) now, I used to load a tandem Hobie on the Outback.

Trucks are nice, but realistically, you're gonna get 19MPG on Avg.

The Subaru Outback fits your needs perfectly, including the cost. Tacoma trucks aren't cheap! V6s get you to $30k quick.

Outback or the cross-trek. One of these two will likely be my next ride.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote