Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
Rocketfish

Leo Carillo

I'm going camping at Leo Carillo sometime soon. Is it worth taking my kayak for some early morning fishing here? I believe it's a long walk from the parking lot to the water undre a bridge and over the sand. I may just surf fish if it's too difficult to launch. Has anyone yak fished around here?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
Scoot
Scoot

Leo

A lot of guys fish it, bass rockfish halibut lots of
Structure gettem deep hole little further north
sea bass!!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
CaliHalikiller

Oh yea its worth it you can drive across the street stairs are west of entrance on south side rocky but easier launch
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
CaliHalikiller

Sorry east of entrance
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
TJones

Try to get some wheels

Depending on site , will determine what kind of trek your looking at . I camped out earlier this year and went kayaking . I lost four or five yellows in the lobter pots . It was a wide open bite . Even if you don't fish , kayaking their would be a blast . Good luck .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Redeyejedi

my stomping grounds.
zuma to cty line.
if for not fishing, its an aquarium out there for viewing. amazingly beautiful and can be a a friendly beach launch. check the forecasted winds, cause they can get up there.

as for camping.....if you didn't reserve around the first, don't expect to get a site this summer, unless you're looking at mid week and cancellations. used to camp there quite a bit. and sycamore. i may do a thornhill campNyak later this fall.

Yes take your kayak.
It can be a long trek depending on your campsite but you can launch across from where you enter the park along pch, or use day lot and go under bridge to roughly same location, or head down towards end of pay lot.
You can launch either at Leos point, where pch is at sea level, or head down towards end of lot beneath bridge(paid/pass parking)
let us know when you go, there's a few local guys that are totally cool with chatting, grilling beering and paddling.

disclaimer: this fishin is awful the sand is green from vomit and seaweed and dead seals, the waves suck and the bite is better in santa brabaras and sandiegos.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Rocketfish

Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it. Yes, I have a campsite reserved. I had to reserve it waaaaaaay back in January LOL. OK, I will look into bringing the yak. I don't know how I will, because I have to take the family and all our camping stuff in my minivan! I guess it's time to invest in a roof rack for the yak?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
captnblood34

Obviously, load the kayak first. If you're too packed, make the kids "rock,paper,scissors" to see who stays home. Give em $20 for pizza, and pray your house isn't burned down when you get home.

Regards,

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I really appreciate it. Yes, I have a campsite reserved. I had to reserve it waaaaaaay back in January LOL. OK, I will look into bringing the yak. I don't know how I will, because I have to take the family and all our camping stuff in my minivan! I guess it's time to invest in a roof rack for the yak?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post
Obviously, load the kayak first. If you're too packed, make the kids "rock,paper,scissors" to see who stays home. Give em $20 for pizza, and pray your house isn't burned down when you get home.

Regards,

Jay
Being a latch key kids is illegal now. I can't believe how this even happened?!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
Being a latch key kids is illegal now. I can't believe how this even happened?!
is it REALLY illegal? man, my sister and I were latch key kids as far back as I could remember. As long as I knew how to DIAL (as in rotary phone) 911, I don't even think my parents worried about leaving us home LOL.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnblood34 View Post

Regards,

Jay
ROFL! if only I could... I would.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Only launched here once, glad it was high tide. When I came back, I realized I launched over a boulder field.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:11 AM   #13
spudz

Like Redeyejedi said... Leo Carrillo - fishing is awful, sand green from vomit and dead seals and the waves are relentless. Sure, I'll join you! When will you be there?
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
Like Redeyejedi said... Leo Carrillo - fishing is awful, sand green from vomit and dead seals and the waves are relentless. Sure, I'll join you! When will you be there?
LOL. i'm going to be camping there over the july 4th weekend, however, not sure if I can bring the yak. I will surf fish for sure though. I'm not sure how to take the vomit and dead seal reference. are you guys being facetious?
Old 06-28-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
spudz

Damn! Will be out of town on the 4th! Will see if I can convince my wife to return early and maybe head out to Leo on the 5th...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #16
spudz

Sorry I couldn't make it out there. Breaking away from the family over the 4th of July weekend just wasn't going to happen. Did you bring the kayak or did you stick to surf fishing?