Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Caseym

DIY Garage Craft Sabiki Rod

I was recently asked how I built my sabiki rods. Heres how....
I use about a 4 1/2' stick of 1/2" schedule 40 pvc.
I attach a cheap Shimano 1000 spinning reel with two hoseclamps, leaving enough butt on the rod to keep it in a rod holder, about 1' or more seems to work.
After mounting the reel, measure up about 6-8" and make a mark.
Loosen the hose clamps and either remove the reel or just rotate it to the opposite side.
Using a good size drill bit (not too small here) drill a hole where u made the mark. Now angle the bit so that the hole is drilled at angle in the direction the line travels.
Now either use a file or a pipe reamer to clean up the hole (you dont want any sharp edges that would cut or chaffe the line). Also file/ream the end the line passes through at the rod tip...itll save your line.
Rotate the reel back around so its lined up with the hole, tighten clamps.
Tie a small sinker to the reel line and feed it through the hole, and free spool out the end. Tie on a swivel.
Now tie a "bank" style sinker (bigger than 1/2") onto your sabiki rig.
Last step: Measure and cut your rig line down to a size that will keep the Swivel from being reeled onto the reel, yet allow the sinker to suck-up tight to the end of the pipe.
Once built test drop it a few times to make sure it pays out smooth. Yes the hooks will usually snag when reeled back in fully, but its not too hard to clear them and get em all reeled in, especially if theres only a few hooks.
Additionally, i use 10# line and I debarb my hooks. If you really want to get fancy you can paint your new rod then finish with a clear urethane to protect your new stick. I made one that resembles a mackerel pattern for a gift.
Sorry if its 'wordy', I dont know how else to describe the build.
Good Luck and have fun!
-Mazer[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 338 views)
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Caseym

Pics...

Pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.3 KB, 332 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Caseym

Pic

Pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.1 KB, 328 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
AirborneYak

Nice!! I was thinking about making one soon. Thanks for the info!
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
dsutter775
Malibu X Factor

Your gonna need to round off the end or your line is gonna fray and break. I built one as well and had to melt the end so the line retrieval was smoother...
dsutter775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Caseym

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsutter775 View Post
Your gonna need to round off the end or your line is gonna fray and break. I built one as well and had to melt the end so the line retrieval was smoother...
"Now either use a file or a pipe reamer to clean up the hole (you dont want any sharp edges that would cut or chaffe the line). Also file/ream the end the line passes through at the rod tip...itll save your line."
Old 06-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
Mahigeer

Nice project.

I use the one made commercially and found out that use of low profile casting reel works better.

The shallower angle of the line entering the rod (tube) allows for better casting. Also a slightly heavier sinker should be used compering to regular rods.

I have both 7' and an 8' model. The 8' was my first purchase, but before using it I sent it back. Recently I did buy an 8' and now that I am familiar with usage of this type of rod, I like it better.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Caseym

Ya, I can totally see where a conventional reel would really tighten up that angle and make reeling smoother, that's a great idea. I like having a shorter rod for bait fishing cause it's so easy to just swing that little stick into the kayak with a fish or two. I've always hated all the tangles and BS associated with jigging up bait fish, just tried to eliminate anything that added to the clutter. Nothing's worse than getting two or three nice Macks and then fumble-f&@$ing around trying to unhook 'me while they flop wildly and tangle that thing into a ball of mess!
I know some of the guys limit their rods and just use their big rods to make bait, but for me I try to eliminate any excessive tackle changes so I can just focus on time spent fishing. I do realize that if I happen to hook a yellowtail while making bait I'll probably be donating some line to the ocean...possibly the whole thing, but for now this easy to build, cheap little rod just seems to work.
Cheers
Old 06-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #9
taggermike

Handy build. Thanks. I should make one cause I hate fighting sibikis all damn day. Seen home made sibiki sticks where the top is heated and opened up like the commercial models. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
FISH11

Thanks for the inspiration Caseym, I went out to my garage and built one, I'll try it out tomorrow. I have been using a spinning combo for several years. I never wanted to pay $70+ for a sabiki rod. Like a lot of people I got tires of having the sabiki get tangled up and usually on every trip, getting poked by it at least once. It seem like every trip I was like constantly saying F***ing Sabiki!, F***ing Sabiki!, F***ing Sabiki!.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
Fishin Phil

I would think the black pvc pipe would be a better choice since it is lighter.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Mahigeer

Well I use mine form piers, so casting is important, but for kayak use the long rod is not important.

My first reason to buy the rod was so I don't have to take the Sabiki rig off. Just leave it in the rod and separate the upper piece and put it in the car trunk.

Later I realized that it would work great for boat and kayak. It keeps so many dangling hooks in the tube for safety.

Home made or commercially made it is a good investment.

I use braid for main line. The commercial one has smooth sections where the line travels through.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
FISH11

I tried out the sabiki rod I made yesterday after being inspired by this thread. The rod worked really good, except for two things. Number one the 1000 reel I had as a spare just isn't strong enough when you hook up with a really large mac (like 14+") or worse if two hook up at once. The second is not really a fault of the rod, when 14+" bonitos hit the sabiki you quickly have a sabiki with no hooks. I guess that is why someone had a thread on where to get sabikis with 30lb lines.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #14
Caseym

Fish11...Sounds like we need to get you on the GarageCraft Payroll and let you test out our products!! You really put it to the ultimate test out there today on all those Bonitos!! I used mine outside Newport Harbir today with my dad and went 27 for 34 !! LOL!!!! Ive actually got it down to two hooks right now. Glad you had fun with it!!!
-Mazer
Old 06-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
Redeyejedi

i had one i made that fell overboad. i used rigid grey pvc, the kind that has one end flared.
now i just cut the sabiki line in the middle, and make two, as i find it safer with fewer hooks and floppy macks. i wind them up on a wine or champagne cork and store in meds containers.

Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote