Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
ivan1982

need advice

Hey guys, so I'm new to kayak fishing and finally gonna go out there with some friends we are all taking paddle yaks, I see all you guys on nice pedal kayaks does it really makes a big difference? Is all I can afford right now so I have no choice, I been watching lots of videos on YouTube about fishing in la Jolla and I saw some websites about some places that they can't be fish, can someone tell me those places? We are planning to go out there on August 1st from Kellogg park and have no idea if we need to go north or south can you please give us an advice? Also most of you guys catch your own bait and I bought some sabiki hooks is that how you guys do it? Another thing is where you guys check the surf report? I know is a lot of questions I hope a few of you guys can give us some advices is our first time doing this for all of us, we just bought some used kayaks and we don't even know if we have to register them, do we? They are 12 and 15 feet paddle kayaks, thanks again and if we catch something I will post some pictures, thanks again have a great raining day all of you.
ivan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Nothing wrong with paddle yaks. I pedal, but that's my choice. Many paddle and love it.

Sabiki will catch bait. Do u have a bait tank?

No on the registration u less u have a motor.

Kellog is a easy launch. I normally go to the bait barge, get a yak scoop the head over to the other side trying for butts.

Watch for traffic. Lots of sailboats come out around noon.

Make sure u have safety gear. Starting with a PFD. Have fun!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
taggermike

Some answers. You'll be fine on paddle kayaks. Hobies are great but not a requirement to catch fish. Many reservoirs do not allow water contact. All sit on top kayaks, not just Hobies, are considered water contact so theyre banned. Sibikis are the way to go. No registration for kayaks unless they have a motor. From Kellogg park go south a few blocks and head out from the actual launch. Go out passed the reserve line and south. What else. I check some surf web sights as well as NOAA and NWS. The swell model I like is http://cdip.ucsd.edu/
If its your first time or you're not very experienced I highly recommend getting comfortable in bays or calmer water before heading to La Jolla. And practice surf launches and landings before you actually got out with gear. Best o luck, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
ivan1982

Yes I have a bait tank and a hummingbird pirahna 210 fish finder and my life jacket, thank you
Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
AirborneYak

Get a radio. One of you guys should have a radio just in case something happens on the water.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...235#post234235
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
ivan1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
Get a radio. One of you guys should have a radio just in case something happens on the water.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...235#post234235
We both have radios
Old 07-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
ivan1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Some answers. You'll be fine on paddle kayaks. Hobies are great but not a requirement to catch fish. Many reservoirs do not allow water contact. All sit on top kayaks, not just Hobies, are considered water contact so theyre banned. Sibikis are the way to go. No registration for kayaks unless they have a motor. From Kellogg park go south a few blocks and head out from the actual launch. Go out passed the reserve line and south. What else. I check some surf web sights as well as NOAA and NWS. The swell model I like is http://cdip.ucsd.edu/
If its your first time or you're not very experienced I highly recommend getting comfortable in bays or calmer water before heading to La Jolla. And practice surf launches and landings before you actually got out with gear. Best o luck, Mike

Thank you and I'll definitely practice surf launches and landings before
Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Fishin Phil

Everyone needs a pfd.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Redeyejedi

paddle yaks are great.
cdips, windfinder, wetsand for forecast/conditions
get or make leashes/tethers for gear
sabiki yes
consider anchor or drogue