Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Von_Vaughn
Junior

Rudder or not to rudder?

I have had an ocean trident and I just got the malibu xfactor. I am debating putting rudders on them. How does the forum feel about them? How much does it add? Worth the price?
Von_Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #2
jorluivil

I've owned two Hobie's and one regular kayak, I never had a need for it and never even considered adding one. Some kayakers love them others can do without them, I think its all a matter of preference.

I'd compare it to having a car with cruise control, its a great feature but how often do you use it?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
FISH11

Talking Rudder

The X Factor tracks real good without one. Might only help on the drift. Not needed just one more thing to worry about, constantly adjusting aim and worry on landing if it's up and out of the way or one more thing to tangle and possibly break when (not if) you roll it in the surf once in a while.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

Rudder or Not

IMHO...I would get a rudder. I paddled the Ocean Kayak brand for a number of years and I always thought that the rudder was a great addition to the longer yaks.
When the wind is blowing out of the West as you paddle back to King Harbor from PV...you get Gorilla arm on the right side from paddling harder and more often on that one side just to keep a straight course. With the rudder your feet do all the steering work and you can paddle with a more regular cadence.
Go for the rudder you won't be sorry. It's no harder to pull up than a rudder on any of the Hobies for surf landing.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
mclanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von_Vaughn View Post
I have had an ocean trident and I just got the malibu xfactor. I am debating putting rudders on them. How does the forum feel about them? How much does it add? Worth the price?
I have the ocean kayak trident 13 with a rudder. I didn't think I'd use it but I find myself using it quite a bit. Last weekend my wife and I paddled 2-3 miles in the Coronado area, at one point we drifted for probably 20 minutes just to enjoy the scenery. I was able to control that drift... both kayaks together... for those 20 minutes with a few movements of the rudder. You can see it on this video at the 2:18 mark - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TyMGEV546w
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

X-factor drifts sideways, be nice to see if a rudder would be able to control the drift but kind of expensive just to find out. Don't really need it otherwise, although when the wind is really blowing it may help tracking some.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
cowboybill

get the rudder!

I paddled for a year without a rudder... and a year with a rudder... on a wilderness tarpon 160...

Get the rudder! In calm conditions, the rudder is a mild aid... But in the wind and against currents, the rudder really works well!

Note; serious kayakers recommend no rudder at first (it forces you to learn paddling!) and then adding a rudder as it adds efficiency for distance...

Extra note: In certain conditions a rudder becomes a crutch, or a false promise... coming in thru surf, the rudder does not work until too late, same with going down a river... A rudder needs water running against it to work... When a wave picks you up and you start moving down the wave... you and the water are moving at close to the same speed... The rudder is useless! ( I found this out the hard way!) After some practice, I always went rudder up and hit the brakes with the paddle which is not fun, but a lot safer on me and equipment!
Also, I paddled in Black Canyon, and noticed against the current, the rudder was amazing... down current the rudder was so so at best.

The beauty of a rudder is... you can leave it up!

Good luck!
Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #8
Wintersun
Junior

I have used both and the windier it is the more I value having a rudder. Without a rudder and having the wind off the beam you are spending most of your time paddling on one side of the boat only and that is a pain - literally.
This is even worse if wearing a wetsuit of any kind where paddling takes more effort in the first place.

The alternative which I found myself doing was to head into the wind and then fall off and makes some distance and then head back into the wind, in effect tacking with the kayak. If I stayed in protected waters all the time or avoided being out in the afternoon a rudder would not be important. So it all depends on where you go.

No wind the rudder adds very little. Lots of wind and it is a godsend. It adds only $150 to the cost for the kayak, and as you can hoist it out of the water whenever you like. The question to ask is why not have a rudder?
Wintersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

I always tell customers that a rudder is most appreciated in less than ideal conditions. It is a tool that provides efficiency and that is the essence of paddling...........efficiency. The fisherman who paddles may not appreciate the rudder as much as a hardcore expedition distance paddler.

That being said if you have a cheap paddle and are considering a rudder...........invest in a really nice paddle and appreciate every stroke.