Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

HOW 2014 Rumble Fish Results

We had 52 sign ups and raised $1340 for the SD chapter of Heroes on the Water yesterday. We had quite a few sign up knowing they would not be able to attend and some signed up multiple times to donate more. Thank you all! Anglers entered could launch as early as 12:01am, the first person on the water was 1am. We started setting up at Standley Park and had the first fish to weigh before 11am Eric Noonan weighed in a 18.2 yellowtail that stood up to the next few weighed. Steve Orr had a 17.2 YT and Christopher Cary had a 16.2 YT. Robert Huynh brought a 21.8 pound yellowtail to the scale in the final hour and won the yellowtail division. Roby received a Tybee Hooked Paddle donated by OEX Sunset Beach and a custom gaff made by Skrilla, donated by OEX Mission Bay.

Only one halibut made it to the scale and it was a real good one Jim Kelley brought in a 36.4 pounder and won an Ultimate Tank donated by OEX Mission Bay.

The other category was set up for sheephead, lingcod, rockfish and white fish. We neglected to include some "others" such as barracuda and bonito that will be included next year. Jorge Villegas won this division with a 1.8 pound baccacio. Jorge won a palm sculpted fish.

Adi was manning a support boat and had photog Paul Lebowitz along. They handed out donuts and offered to hold on to fish. I got an early text photo from Adi of a monster and even a rumor of another. The monster ended up being the only white seabass weighed, it was caught by Greg Barnicoat. Greg won that division and received a Stohlquist Pisces PFD and a battery box. He also won the over all biggest fish and received the custom wrapped rod donated by Skrilla, Len's Custom Rods.

Mike and Matt, with the help of Matt's wife warmed up beans, cilantro lime rice, tortillas and halibut fillets donated by Tony Park. Tacos were the bomb! Jorge got Coca Cola to donate waters and sodas. Tony and Jorge contributed to more money ending up in HOW's possession. The fundrasing effort was considered a great success capped off with Eric Noonan pledging an additional $3000 from GEO Group.

This will be an annual event falling on the Saturday after Labor Day, so plan for next year! We also will be figuring out the date for the April Mission Bay tournament. Look for the sign up details very soon.

Thank you BWE members for you awesome display of support of our local chapter of Heroes on the Water! Great community vibe!

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 09-07-2014 at 09:34 AM.
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Zed
BANNED

Congrats on the event. Good mix of fish.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
FISH11

It was an awesome event and I had a lot of fun. The only thing that could have made it better was to land one of my 3 hook ups, lost during the fight. Got to sharpen those hooks on the Tady 45. Had no luck with the flylined macs. The Hali tacos where super. Thanks to all involved.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Cbad Mike

It was a great event for a great cause!
Swinging for the fence, I was otw at 2:30 with the dream of a big WSB on my deck. Looking back I should have lowered my hopes a few notches to just being able to find bait.
I have a few good memories... Fishing with some cool guys and lots of laughs are only a couple.
My favorite memory was at first light. I was out in front of the condo looking towards the launch and could see about 30 kayaks all heading out through the preserve..... Cool sight.
Anyway.........
HOW is a great cause that I plan to become more involved in and I hope that some day soon it will grow so big that we will be able to look back on yesterday and say, wow... remember when we only had 50 anglers in this tournament.
Lets shoot for a hundred next year!!!
Thanks everyone for a great time!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
kayakfisherman

Can't begin to tell you guys what a great feeling it
is to contribute for such a great cause!! Thanks
to all who put on this super event. Looking forward
to next year.

Fishing wise, it seems there where 3 hot spots thru out
the day. And, acitivity seemed to die off after the top
of the tide. One spot produced lots of yellows, one spot
produced lots of bonito, and the last spot, although plagued
with sewage problems produced halibut and wsb.

I came home with a smile on my face because I reconneded
with old friends, connected with new friends, watched George
sweating blood during the 1' surf landing, and came home
with fresh bonito.

See you next year.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
kaya_one

Yep, great fishing for a good cause! Thanks to the organizers for putting on the event and wow...raising a lot of money.
Next year will be bigger I'm sure.
The fish sure did turn up with some big fish in all divisions.
Best part is listening to the sewer chatter .

Good to meet everyone. Thanks for having me.
-Jamie
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Deamon

Andy-man,

Tony probably convinced you to not post a pic of my fish...not going to happen brotha.

Here are a few of Tony's on the water quotes directed at me yesterday:

"Look at how you've strapped that fish down so tight. It's obvious you haven't caught a good fish in a long time..."
"Let me get my camera ready because a seal is going to steal that fish the way you have it strapped up"
"There goes Jim again, poaching on our spot..." Ummm, Tony, I live in San Diego, where are you from?

It's not just you Mr. Patrick that he tries to nail when he can. Have some thick skin or go home around the Sewer boys. Dudes can fish though.

Jim
Attached Images

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Team Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Have some thick skin or go home around the Sewer boys. Dudes can fish though.

Jim
Yep

Last edited by Team Sewer; 09-07-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Team Sewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Andy-man,

Tony probably convinced you to not post a pic of my fish...not going to happen brotha.
Ha! I threw up a few pix this morning hoping others would keep it going, great halibut!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Great tourney! From the early start time to the Halibut tacos and prizes, and everything in between. How many tourneys have donuts and drinks delivered to you on the water? And, when was the last tourney to have YT, WSB and Halibut over 20lbs weighed in? All for a great cause that I will continue to support.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
FISH11

Glad to add to the post. Here are a few more picts. from yesterday. From Team Sewer's post, it looks like I should have accepted Georges invitation to fish with them on Sunday. Thing is I thought about the possible thunder storm and almost went anyway. Then last night before going to bed all was packed and set and I realized that I was more tired then I thought due to not having been able to fish much lately due to the knee replacement all those miles of paddling it take a little time to get the endurance back. As I watched the LJ Web Cam, I kept saying dam, dam I should have gone. Next time. Mark
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Today the YT wanted to play. We had 8 among the 4 of us and saw lots of others landed. Greenbacks trolled on the flyline along the kelpline from the Half to the NW Corner was the ticket.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Today the YT wanted to play. We had 8 among the 4 of us and saw lots of others landed. Greenbacks trolled on the flyline along the kelpline from the Half to the NW Corner was the ticket.

I could be wrong but I think we lost just as many as we landed

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
tacmik

WHAT! you lost yellowtail. That is sacriligist. Thank you and team Sewer for your participation and support, Mike
Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
I came home with a smile on my face because I reconneded
with old friends, connected with new friends, watched George
sweating blood during the 1' surf landing

Yeah, I'll admit it, I was a little cautious about the entry. After all, my day started with a launch in the dark, a busted rudder cable just past the MLPA, on the water rudder work in the dark but ended the day with this............................

I had a blast and was glad that I could help HOW in some way shape or form.

The boys from the North headed south and took 3 of the 4 categories

Last edited by jorluivil; 09-07-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
I came home with a smile on my face because I reconneded with old friends, connected with new friends, watched George sweating blood during the 1' surf landing

Its a shame you didn't see today's wet landing. I won't say who it was, you'll have to wait until the video is uploaded but if it helps any his name rhymes with Lonely Mark

Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Awesome cause and great people!

There was a lot of fish caught and a lot of fish tacos eaten. Thanks for all the hard work that was put in to this event and for everyone that contributed.

I lost three yellowtail to the kelp earlier this summer and was able to go 3 for 3 on the yellowtail this day. What a great day to be on the water!!
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #18
Caden
Homeless will fish 4 food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Andy-man,

Here are a few of Tony's on the water quotes directed at me yesterday:

"Look at how you've strapped that fish down so tight. It's obvious you haven't caught a good fish in a long time..."
"Let me get my camera ready because a seal is going to steal that fish the way you have it strapped up"
"There goes Jim again, poaching on our spot..." Ummm, Tony, I live in San Diego, where are you from?

It's not just you Mr. Patrick that he tries to nail when he can. Have some thick skin or go home around the Sewer boys. Dudes can fish though.

Jim
Good chit Jim and mr Andrew and Roby
Caden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #19
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Darn it, I knew there would be some pigs out there (but the ?!) Didn't see that one coming!
With all the recent reports, I thought the winning fish would be a and would be at least 25#, but all the were no slouches!
I really wanted to attend, I went to bed early 10p, got up @ 4:30 feeling worse than when I went to sleep! Figured my sleep Apthnea must have kicked in. Decided probably not wise to be on the road in that condition.
Wish I would have been there to at least volunteer and watch the weight in.
Well...there's always next year. It'll give me time to fine tune my Kayak skills.
Congrats to all the participants and winners and volunteers! All for a good cause.
I'm proud/honored to be associated with such an exceptional group of people!
FFY.

I forgot to ask and nobody said anything yet, did Jorge flip his landing? I remember someone mentioning that would be worth the price of admission!

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 09-07-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: ? ? ?
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #20
skrilla

Congrats to the winners. Props to those who supported even if you couldn't make it. And a huge round of applause for the ones who helped put this thing together you know who you are. I'm glad to have been a part of it and look forward to future events.