Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
james92026

Tamarack 10 foot at Walmart

Hi,
I was a member several years ago. I had sold my 12 ft Navigator after a mishap off the coast, (that and also some roof damage to Hyundai).

In any event, spotted a cheap Tamarack at Walmart and wondered if they are any good. My use would probably be Mission or San Diego Bay, but might again to venture off shore. (also need to find out MLPA areas as I've forgotten.

I have a different auto now (Prius), and would want to get a proper rack this time around.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
monstahfish

Why buy a crappy boat at walmart when you can get a good more capable used one for the same or a little bit more?
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

10 foot would suffice for the lakes and harbor, but a little small for the ocean and I would not trust that kayak with my life in the ocean, better off buying a good proven used rotomolded kayak.

Last edited by Iceman; 01-18-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
james92026

Thanks, I just noted the price, but you get what you pay for. It does look stable though. Prolly would not track that well. I can't go too long though for roof tip carry. fwiw, the last one I had was Cobra Navigator 12 footer. It tracked pretty well. My mishap was as some may recall was off Camp Pendleton in winter months, caught a large swell and flipped her, I was wearing heavy clothing, and could not haul myself onboard. Luckily a power boat coming out of O'Side Harbour spotted me before Hypo got me.

Last edited by james92026; 01-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #5
goldenglory18

Dont replay the same error. Get a better, more sound and stable boat. I would rather not own a boat then buy something that might kill me.

You dont need a Ferrari to get the groceries....a sound Hyundai will do just fine.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
jpp9565

Smile

I've got 2 of them that the wife and I use on lakes and the harbor. They are great for light use. I don't think I'd want to go too far offshore with it. Easy to bring along when I don't want to lug my x-factor out. Some people think you need to spend $3500 on a PA to get to the fish and be safe. Just use common sense and don't try to do something in it that it wasn't designed for. Fun, stable ride for the money.
jpp9565 is offline   Reply With Quote