Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Fiskadoro

MLPA interactive maps

MLPA interactive maps

Here's a new setup where you can see the round two MLPA proposal maps from the RSG in detail online:

http://www.marinemap.org/marinemap/

I prefer to use the chart function, as I use bluecahrt on my GPS/Plotter. With the chart function on I can reference my GPS and see exactly how my fishing is going to be impacted by the Closures.
To get to the function click "Data layers" and check "Nautical charts"

Then you can zoom in to your favorite area, and once there: click MPAs ,Arrays, and Proposals and in the pop up then you can select which MLPA proposals you want to see, either one at a time or layered on top of each other, and how they will impact your spot.

The round 2 maps are the ones to look at especially External A. Lapis1, and Topaz.

Here's some images from Lapis2

Dume:

PV (just south of Rocky point)

I suggest everyone look closely at these maps, as it's crucial for us to contact our RSG reps and fill them in on how they will impact us individually.

For instance there is a lot of difference between Lapis1

and Lapis2 when it comes to LaJolla!!

Feel free to post which maps you prefer (or hate the least) and which ones will impact you the most.

For those who claim that the fisherman can do nothing and that going to the meetings or working within the process has been a complete waste of time I suggest you look at C and compare it to any of the round 2 maps.

Those who have worked on the fishing side have made a difference, and it's important to keep up the fight. Next meeting is September 10th in LA, be there or loose your access.

Thanks again to all the guys who have been working on this!!!

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 08-13-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

In case you didn't notice, there is a sticky thread here with the map info. Marine map is awesome. It is the same info our RSG reps are using.

Just so there is no confusion, there are only 3 maps in play right now

Lapis 1
Topaz
ext A

The versions listed in marine map, for round 2 are the basis for what they are drawing now. None of the maps as drawn after round 2 met the Science guidelines, so all are being expanded.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

FYI!

Lapis 1 now covers Scripps pier to Torrey pines! CLOSED TO FISHING!!!

Prime Homeguard YT grounds, this is no secret, many of you had your first BIG YT up there this year, hope you come to the MLPA meeting sept 10th to speak out, and save that area. It is important to us kayak fishermen. It is short paddle, close inshore for safety!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Please, please come help us stop them from trying to take our most easily accesible fishing grounds!!! Do yourselves a favor and go fishing this weekend and enjoy it, and realize why it is so, so , so important to go to these meetings and fight for your rights to fish!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
PAL

Guys, the round 2 proposals are already old news. The RSG is working on new maps. It's true the starting places were supposed to be Lapis 1, Topaz, and Ext A, but you should expect significant changes. The first time you'll be able to look at them will be the RSG's Sept work session and hearing. I suggest someone from your area come the day before the hearing to get a good idea of what's happening.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
FYI!

Lapis 1 now covers Scripps pier to Torrey pines! CLOSED TO FISHING!!!

Prime Homeguard YT grounds, this is no secret, many of you had your first BIG YT up there this year, hope you come to the MLPA meeting sept 10th to speak out, and save that area. It is important to us kayak fishermen. It is short paddle, close inshore for safety!
This means Death to Kayak Fishing. A blatant theft of Your Fishing Rights.
-Please don't let the MLPA kick your teeth out.

Attend the Final Meetings and speak up for yourself.

Last edited by Billy V; 08-14-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Paul, is there any way we can get the updated round 3 proposals in marine map, or google earth before the public comment September 10? Or are they still considered work in progress and won't be updated until they are finalized after the meetings? Or can we get the lat/long of the proposed boundaries even if we can't get them on a computer?

I may attend September 9th to get a feel for how things are going.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
PAL

Quote:
Paul, is there any way we can get the updated round 3 proposals in marine map, or google earth before the public comment September 10? Or are they still considered work in progress and won't be updated until they are finalized after the meetings? Or can we get the lat/long of the proposed boundaries even if we can't get them on a computer?
The only way to be sure you know what the RSG workgroup proposals look like is to be in the room for the Sept 9 RSG work session. Going on the timeline used for rounds 1 and 2, the new maps will probably not be viewable to the public for a solid week or two following Sept 10. Personally, I can only view Workgroup 2 - and that took a full week following the recent Carlsbad meeting.

If it will be of any value to the RSG, the public comment period should be scheduled the morning of the first day before the work session, or on the second day before the RSG starts its last plenary session. Please consider a proactive stance - air concerns to Kelly Sayce and initiative executives ASAP.

MJ and I will be present in Workgroups 1 and 2 - that's if nothing happens to us in the meantime. A drunk driver took out MJ's car the night of the last session. Fortunately he wasn't in it but the incident kept him out of the meeting. I strongly suggest that you get with other key communicators to coordinate eyes on each of the groups.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
Grego

I've bitten my tongue for a long time now ever since I recognized Paul's point, it just boggles my mind and once again questions the fairness of this process.

I have an interview with another local paper, and that same point is at the top of my discussion.

In local governments, when seeking public comment and input in a workshop setting, another workshop is conducted 1-2 weeks later taking those ideas and then presenting the pros/cons of those ideas. Most of the time the public provides ideas that are just plain crazy, some provide ideas that would have been great if it wasn't for some type of conflict with a local/state/federal law or sometimes it just isn't cost efficient, and some provide ideas that staff incorporates fully or partially. Nonetheless, we hold follow-up workshops that explains the pros and cons of ALL public input in either verbal or written format. I have no idea what type of public input process this MLPA is conducting.....with all these degrees floating around it seems none of them took Public Administration 101.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Yeah, lets have the last public comment for the RSG members after the last meeting. Makes perfect sense to me . Comment on the maps afterward they are done, not before when we might be able to help mold them.

Would we expect anything less based on the way they have been running things though . Doesn't matter, I'll be there.

What we are doing as kayak fishermen is working. At this point in San Diego we have done very well considering. Let's not screw it up now.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
Yeah, lets have the last public comment for the RSG members after the last meeting. Makes perfect sense to me . Comment on the maps afterward they are done, not before when we might be able to help mold them.

Would we expect anything less based on the way they have been running things though . Doesn't matter, I'll be there.

What we are doing as kayak fishermen is working. At this point in San Diego we have done very well considering. Let's not screw it up now.
Maybe the governor could appoint a few more BRTF members to the fish and game commission before the final votes are taken to close the entire world to fishing.
KY Jelly notwithstanding.

I believe it is imperative to contact the I Team Members ahead of time and tell them that Public Comments Need to be Heard Before the RSG Members Draw Any Maps.
-Dumb it down for them.

So the RSG Members may consider and implement the wants and needs of the Tax Paying Public, and All Citizens of the State of Kollyfornya.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
CurtyL

one word: steamroller.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote