Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfisherman View Post
What a Cool Post !!! Keep them coming !!!

Let's see how you guys eat that Chinook in Alaska ??

Thanks in advance. Yanni
We do it up in a thousand ways. I don't have any recipes. Just wing it every time and 99 times out of 100 it comes out great.

BUT being Japanese, sashimi is the preferred method. We do freeze them first (though my parents don't if they are saltwater kings) but they are as good as any sashimi I have had. And I like to think I know my sushi and sashimi. I envy you guys with the yellowtail and abalone. I'd clear out my entire freezer and my first born for a few premium samples of those.

Another method we really like and its born out of laziness when we are cleaning 45 to 100 sockeye per family during dip netting season. We just hack of the fillets the best we can in a couple of strokes. The problem of course is that we leave a ton of meat on the bone.

When my grandmother was alive, our absolute favorite way to eat fish like this was to cut backbone, then wrap it in konbu (kelp) and pressure cook in a soy sauce, sugar and miring based liquid. The bones are edible and it got pushed on us like mothers push milk for calcium.

Lately we have been scraping them with a spoon to get a pile of "nakaochi" or the meat scraped from the bones. Either mix with little grin onion and put in sushi (think negihama=scraped yellowtail with green onion in a roll). Or my kids favorite way is salmon burgers! YUMMY.

The latest "fad" in the house is ceviche! Thankfully, loving sashimi and with all of the different other methods, we eat a ton of fish! I never really participate in food discussions because I don't use recipes like I said. I'll have to dig up some pics!
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote