Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'm heading to Verizon next week to upgrade my phone, I'm seriously considering the I-Phone 5 or 4S. One of the main reasons I want to replace my android phone is because of the weak battery life that they have. During most of my fishing trips I carry two batteries, combined they will last me about 6-8hours before they're both dead. The second reason is the fact that LifeProof makes an awesome water proof case along for the I-Phone and an optional floating case which is GREAT for those oops moments when you're on the water. I have a waterproof jacket for my Droid but they really suck, when the case is wet the touch screen does not work very well, I either have to take the phone out of the case or dry the outer jacket in order to use the touchscreen plus the speaker sound is horrible.

I'm looking for some pros and cons from current I-Phone users.
new contract or buying out of pocket?
data plan, text plan unlimited?
how long have you had that phone for?
android phones can "suffer" from battery usage due to open apps. get an app killer, and see you battery increase significantly.

just to add, going to an iphone from an good android is like going from truck with v8 to a 4banger with head issues, and CEL throwing unknown codes.
galaxy s2 blows doors on iphone 5 and leaves the older ones as paper weights.... but i am certain the brandwhores will chime in telling you how much they love their iphone.

Last edited by Redeyejedi; 12-13-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
jruiz
Large Member

If your only issue is battery life, get an extended battery and make sure your battery is calibrated. There are android apps out there that will calibrate your battery. With a calibrated extended battery, I get 2-3 days of battery life with heavy usage. The app I use is simply called "battery calibration"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GlicmF0aW9uIl0.

When the privacy policy and advertising terms come up hit close all time, NOT OK.

I would try the battery calibration first to see if it improves your battery woes before going with a new phone. Then consider an extended battery.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post

This actually made me LOL. Thank you for that.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #24
Drake

galaxy S3 , awesome battery life better performance and Lifeproof has a case for it.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I stick with Android. Check out the Samsung Galaxy SIII, in a Seidio Obex waterproof case. It lasts forever if the wifi is turned off.
I agree with this, love mine.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
Salty Dog
loves bacon

Just jumped from the iPhone OG to the iPhone 5 with the lifeproof case last week.
LTE is stinking fast! I can't tell the difference between it and my cable internet.
Putting it through the torture test right now.The new phone has not crashed or hung up at all.
Got about 8 hours of really heavy internet and app testing in on one full charge.
No lag time navigating through Navionics or any of my maps apps.
Rendering in art and photo apps are instantaneous fast
GPS works pretty good. It marks about 5-10' away from me everytime
Works ok so far.

My iPhone OG lasted 5 years. Still works fine. The battery is a little weak but it can still make it through a whole day of normal use.
It's been through hell without using any cases to protect it. Construction sights, backpacking, skating, and kayaking (with an Alok sac) hasn't done much to it except for a few scratches.
Hope I get the new phone to last that long.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
jorluivil

I decided to go with

and this

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
Redeyejedi

nice!
update with review for us!
get that rubber case or whatever you like and a screen protector and zip lock bags you're good to go!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Disagree. I went from the iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Note 2 and while I did love my iPhone, I won't go back to an iPhone until they set the bar again. My GN2 has crazy features and the battery lasts all day long, streaming and doing a variety of other things. Admittedly, you can't go wrong with the iPhone, it's just not the end all be all of smartphones anymore.
i guess im an apple guy . i like apple because its simple to operate and convenient. the new 5's last all day long and take less than an hour to charge. To each his own but i love my iphone.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Drake

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/...FQhyQgod-SwANw
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #31
Mongo Johnson

Too bad Ameilia couldn't have kept her Lockeed Electra on the ramp until now. Google Maps for iPhone
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413207,00.asp

http://abcnews.go.com/US/researchers...ry?id=17034766
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

0016.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #33
Mongo Johnson

Costco spiffy consumer thing. Not sure if it will cover a phone too, but it rocks on things like TV and computers.

If you buy a product at Costco using THIER AMEX card, they add a year to your warranty. http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...o-TrueEarnings
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #34
MuddyMike

I just went to costco to try to upgrade and keep my unlimited plan. I'm due for an upgrade and have no other phones on my plan.

I overheard her talking to the people before me though and she was saying she could try to grandfather the unlimited plan, but there's a pretty good chance Verizon will reverse it out within a week or 2.

When I spoke with her, she said it wouldn't work for me unless I had paid full price for the phone when I bought it, or some cases if you have multiple phones on the plan. I didn't understand it.

I'd say keep an eye on your plans just in case.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
Mongo Johnson

Sprint or others may be an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyMike View Post
I just went to costco to try to upgrade and keep my unlimited plan. I'm due for an upgrade and have no other phones on my plan . . . . but there's a pretty good chance Verizon will reverse it out within a week or 2.
I jumped on the Sprint deal at Thanksgiving that offered the S3 at 49.00. They may do a competitive deal if you call. I've had pretty good luck with their phone staffers as opposed to the helter-skelter of stores. They're somewhat unlimited in their data charges. Plans are flat rate for so many minutes with data included with a flat 10 fee unless you have a dump phone.

Coming from another vendor may give you something to bargain with -- and you might reference the killer deal.

I've had Sprint for a long time around L.A. without issues, though I hear coverage in Seal Beach is yucky.

I've buddies who are phone nuts and have tried most of the main vendors before rotating back to Sprint. They're in LB and Garden Grove.

Another bud who went "all iPhone" has come back to Android via some pretty sweat deals on TMobile, but his call minutes are very low, he does have good data.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #36
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Doubles as a PFD:

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #37
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
If your only issue is battery life, get an extended battery and make sure your battery is calibrated. There are android apps out there that will calibrate your battery. With a calibrated extended battery, I get 2-3 days of battery life with heavy usage. The app I use is simply called "battery calibration"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...GlicmF0aW9uIl0.

When the privacy policy and advertising terms come up hit close all time, NOT OK.

I would try the battery calibration first to see if it improves your battery woes before going with a new phone. Then consider an extended battery.

thanks for that, HUGE increase in discharge performance on a year and half old battery and phone is very rarely off.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #38
Mongo Johnson

Tech buddy feedback. He loves rooting his phones etc.

Might be about a different pgm, but take care on ad questions, and tech instructions.

"I don’t use it. I tried one of these apps before and unless you follow the directions exactly and constantly redo the calibration process, your phone will be out of calibration and it will be a pain it get it calibrated again. For example when I screwed up my phone with this type of app it would stop charging at 95% and die at like 5 percent. I had to factory reset to fix it."
Old 12-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #39
jorluivil

Ended up going shopping with the wife and kids on Friday and we all got an early Christmas present, I ended up with the Galaxy S3. I didn't realize it at the time but Best Buy sells the Seidio Obex waterproof case for the S3, I was under the impression that it was only available online. I went in today and picked up the case and even got it price matched, walked out the door spending just a little more than $60 for the case compared to $70 or $80 +tax on some of the online sites.

I've been reading reviews for the last few days and although Seidio is the only manufacturer that carries this case it has received from pretty stellar reviews from users and Droid websites.

Overall, the case is slightly larger but not by much and feels comfortable in the hand. The speaker does sound a little distorted when its played at the maximum level and the touch screen does seem to function slightly different, just takes some getting used to. I'm happy with it so far, I'll post some additional info in a few days.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #40
YakMedic

I've been using the seidio obex for the last 2mos. It takes awhile to get used to and the screen loses sensitivity. But after busting 2 phones last year I like the protection it gives.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote