Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
jorluivil

Phone Upgrade

I'm heading to Verizon next week to upgrade my phone, I'm seriously considering the I-Phone 5 or 4S. One of the main reasons I want to replace my android phone is because of the weak battery life that they have. During most of my fishing trips I carry two batteries, combined they will last me about 6-8hours before they're both dead. The second reason is the fact that LifeProof makes an awesome water proof case along for the I-Phone and an optional floating case which is GREAT for those oops moments when you're on the water. I have a waterproof jacket for my Droid but they really suck, when the case is wet the touch screen does not work very well, I either have to take the phone out of the case or dry the outer jacket in order to use the touchscreen plus the speaker sound is horrible.

I'm looking for some pros and cons from current I-Phone users.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

life proof case is the BOMB!!!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
danjor

Get your phone at Costco. After buying my most recent phone there I'm never going back to the Verizon store. Not only did I get the phone cheaper there but I got a bunch of free Accessories, there insurance plan is great and the guy working there upgraded my phone and fixed the paperwork so I did not have to upgrade my plan which saves me $30 a month and I get to keep my unlimited everything plan on Verizon
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Hmmm i see a iphone on the countertop

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Get your phone at Costco. After buying my most recent phone there I'm never going back to the Verizon store. Not only did I get the phone cheaper there but I got a bunch of free Accessories, there insurance plan is great and the guy working there upgraded my phone and fixed the paperwork so I did not have to upgrade my plan which saves me $30 a month and I get to keep my unlimited everything plan on Verizon

10-4, one of my co-workers told me about Costco as well. I couldn't believe all the extra's they gave him and how they 'waived' a whole bunch of fees. I believe they grandfathered his old plan into the new 2-year plan, he was also able to keep his unlimited data plan.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Iphone for sure. You will never go back!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
10-4, one of my co-workers told me about Costco as well. I couldn't believe all the extra's they gave him and how they 'waived' a whole bunch of fees. I believe they grandfathered his old plan into the new 2-year plan, he was also able to keep his unlimited data plan.
Yep, its the way to go. You should have gone on black Friday they had some crazy deals, was trying to activate my phone that day but it wasn't gonna happen. I got the new droid RAZR maxx HD. They don't make any nice waterproof cases that I know of for it, otter case might make one, but they battery life is crazy and it is splash proof/ waterproof at like a couple of feet or something like that, but the main things are the amazing battery life and you can't beat the high def screen, its crazy, looks clearer than my 1080p LCD TV lol
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
Iphone for sure. You will never go back!
Disagree. I went from the iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Note 2 and while I did love my iPhone, I won't go back to an iPhone until they set the bar again. My GN2 has crazy features and the battery lasts all day long, streaming and doing a variety of other things. Admittedly, you can't go wrong with the iPhone, it's just not the end all be all of smartphones anymore.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
slobslayer

Iphone for sure.... The battery life on my iPhone lasts twice as long if not more than my droid. I can scan BWE all day and still have three quarters of my battery left. I also ordered the life proof off amazon and love it.
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
jorluivil

BUMMER......Costco doesn't carry I-Phones

Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
yaker81
Banned

iphone maps suck. Google maps is way better. Apple also sucks because they are not open source like android phones. iphone does not have adobe flash either, which is absolutely lame. I went from a galaxy S2 to the Iphone 4 and wish I never did, But I will agree that the iphone battery life is much better on the iphone.

Last edited by yaker81; 12-12-2012 at 07:22 PM.
yaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
BUMMER......Costco doesn't carry I-Phones
Sucks
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
dbarnett66
Danodog

I went with the IPhone 4s recently through an actual Verizon store. Couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Then again, I had a basic phone that sucked, so anything could have been an upgrade.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
ful-rac
Emperor

Agreed, the apple maps do suck but they work...apple had a good thing going with google maps, but they screwed up with ios5...but overall iphone, good choice. I do think google maps are going to return to ios soon....hopefully...comon jorge you saw what i could do with my iphone....right in the water...no fear!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
YakMedic

I stick with Android. Check out the Samsung Galaxy SIII, in a Seidio Obex waterproof case. It lasts forever if the wifi is turned off.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Mongo Johnson

Long term battery for any devices

1. Plans/Phones: I've just seen a buddy who was way into Android go to iPhone. Then, he recently came back. Part of it was plan flexibility, the other reasons were more latitude with the decice and app's. He did like some of Apples apps due to their closed system. He was wooed by good plan deals he liked at T Mobile.

I've had good luck with Sprint's fees and clarity, but it depends on coverage area. I'm seeing 4 LTE in LB. I thought it was a gimmick, but I bit on the 49.00 Samsung Galaxy S3 and it whoops my able HTC Evo.

2. Battery: For 25 bucks, there are batteries other there that are worth two full charges and are non-denominational in that they work on an iPhone or Android. More expensive versions will do more charges and/or handle tablets.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ghlight=charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I stick with Android. Check out the Samsung Galaxy SIII, in a Seidio Obex waterproof case. It lasts forever if the wifi is turned off.

Last edited by Mongo Johnson; 12-13-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #17
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaker81 View Post
iphone maps suck. Google maps is way better. Apple also sucks because they are not open source like android phones. iphone does not have adobe flash either, which is absolutely lame. I went from a galaxy S2 to the Iphone 4 and wish I never did, But I will agree that the iphone battery life is much better on the iphone.
Download the app! It is in the App Store for free
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #18
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaker81 View Post
Google maps is in the App Store for free
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
maui jim

Dont drink the Apple Juice!!!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Yep they just came out with the Google maps app today! Get it!