Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-17-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
Bruntoj

Solana Beach 7/16

Fished Solana Beach for the first time. Also my first time doing a surf launch in a fishing kayak (PA14). Took a couple over the bow, cockpit/pedal area filled up and listed badly but luckily it drained and I made it out. Also found out the rod holder tubes leak so had maybe half a gallon in the hull.

Launched around 6:30 and only caught a couple of small Calicos (1 on a flatfall and the other on a Warbaits 1oz head and Calico Candy Zman. Things suddenly heated up around 10am. Caught these guys, followed by Calicos for a total of 13, then called it a day around noon.

Made it halfway in through the surf then got a little sideways, lost my nerve, and jumped out. Body dragged from the stern handle the rest of the way in, but at least no yard sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
SmokinBass

Nice fish! Thanks for the report. Where did you launch from if you don't mind me asking?
SmokinBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Bruntoj

Launch: I'm trailering my PA14 so I parked on the road between Cardiff and Seaside ("George's") and launched there. Very nervous in the surf. Would've preferred to launch at Tabletops as I've got experience surfing there, but don't know how to solve trailer parking puzzle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruntoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
pingpangdang

Used to surf just north of dog beach...fat wave good for my old school fat 80s thruster.

I've seen the kelp while surfing and always wondered about the fishing. Kelp is a lot closer than ljs launch. New a crew that got bugs there but never heard of any tails.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
HobieOneCanoebe

4 other guys and I frequent the kelp out there, good fishing. Don't want to give too much info away if you know what I mean.
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote