Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #181
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
If you are at my place at three it will all work out fine. Remember my rack holds two yaks, yours and Gr8fulDudes. Should be good.
Will do as directed Bob.

May I suggest that only the heavy items of yours and G8 be loaded up until I get there.

Then we can load up my heavy items first.

I will bring the roof carrier and if not used, leave it in my car. Perhaps we can put the carrier on top of the kayak, if it can be useful.

I have changed the hooks on 12 lures with the new Owner hooks. At $10.00 for only six (6) hooks, I got only two packs.

I am tying some new flies too. Pictures to follow.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #182
Gr8fuldude

FMM done (paid but still needs to be stamped), fishing license-check!

Still interested in doing a one or two night camping trip to San Luis Island if anyone is interested. Fishing out there should be insane. Check out this link, then click on the pictures.

http://wikimapia.org/6427399/Isla-San-Luis

Hasta Sabado, amigos
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:50 PM   #183
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
100 hours and it is off to paradise, predicted temps should be in the 80's days and low 70's nights. As of now no rain in the forecast and winds 5-10 mph. Fishing should be GOLD or BETTER. I would expect to be eating breakfast in San Felipe around 1030 and be in camp before 1pm, fish the afternoon and have Brats by Jack around dark. Tight Lines amigos, and fishy dreams.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #184
MrPukaShell

What kind of music do you all listen to?
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #185
makobob
Baitless on Baja

On the way down, Satellite XM radio, easy listening from the 70's. When we get there whatever YOU bring, I have no radio in camp, nights we usually just talk. Bring what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #186
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post

Anything but rap.

I will have some Turkish belly dancing music.

I was reading some old thread, about the NO, NOs of taking to and from Mexico. Besides the obvious ones like drug etc..

No ammunition, even empty shells. Be sure to clean you trucks if you are a hunter.

I usually carry in my pocket a Swiss army knife at all times, it will be packed away. I was going to bring a hunting knife (packed of course), but I will change it to a dive knife. Packed away of course.
Fillet knives should also be packed and if anyone asked---they are cooking knives.

Last time I was there, we were given lobsters to bring back, by a co-op fisherman. I gave a lot of fish to them and in exchange they gave us lobsters. My host took them all, without offering any to me. That is another story.
I knew that lobster fishing was not allowed for visitors; but did not know it could present a problem if we had some with us, since we had no proof of purchase. Good thing I did not know it could be a problem. I would have been sweating it out at the check points. They checked out our truck much more carefully leaving Baja than getting in. They made us get out and they looked under the seats.
All young soldiers with machine guns.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 10-15-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #187
makobob
Baitless on Baja

All good info, yes there are check points where you may be asked to step out of the truck while they check it out.
I always keep my money on me and my passport and papers in a box I can see to make sure it is not opened. I have only lost a ten dollar bill I left in the console and did NOT keep an eye on. Yes ALL knives are packed AND in the back of the truck, NOT in the cab. And NEVER make any remarks to the guards, just politely answer their questions. Respect goes a long ways. Tight Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Anything but rap.

I will have some Turkish belly dancing music.

I was reading some old thread, about the NO, NOs of taking to and from Mexico. Besides the obvious ones like drug etc..

No ammunition, even empty shells. Be sure to clean you trucks if you are a hunter.

I usually carry in my pocket a Swiss army knife at all times, it will be packed away. I was going to bring a hunting knife (packed of course), but I will change it to a dive knife. Packed away of course.
Fillet knives should also be packed and if anyone asked---they are cooking knives.

Last time I was there, we were given lobsters to bring back, buy a co-op fisherman. I gave a lot of fish to them and in exchange they gave us lobsters. My host took them all, without offering any to me. That is another story.
I knew that lobster fishing was not allowed for visitors; but did not know it could present a problem if we had some with us, since we had no proof of purchase. Good thing I did not know it could be a problem. I would have been sweating it out at the check points. They checked out our truck much more carefully leaving Baja than getting in. They made us get out and they looked under the seats.
All young soldiers with machine guns.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #188
makobob
Baitless on Baja

CALL from MEXICO

Sven and Steve are at my place. Danny and friends are at a palapa in front of restaurant and leaving tomorrow. Sven might have caught a 30+# Jack Cravelle, so there are big fish in the area. He called to let me know that the guys working on the concrete floor were doing a great job. Floor should be done TOMORROW, then maybe the outside ramp will be done Friday. Means I can start on the inside soon. Happy days are here again!!!!!! Tight Lines and fishy dreams.
See you guys 84 hours from NOW at Johnny's Shell Station. Paradise here we come AGAIN!!! You too can ride the BAJA EXPRESS.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #189
buddha

Still using those 1-2 inch shiny lures? I hope so since I cleaned out tackle warehouse of their 1/4 oz. kastmasters in chrome and chrome/blue today.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #190
makobob
Baitless on Baja

So you get them Thursday or Friday, did you get larger/stronger hooks, split rings and split ring pliers? Of course you have a light spinning outfit to cast them with and wire to keep from being cut off. Jeff the small stuff will catch all year long many times BETTER than the BIGGER baits. Remember if you want to work deeper water the larger faster sinking jigs work too. Mega baits from small to large, Surface iron, deep iron for Yo Yoing all work..Trolling BIG REPALAS trolled just off the rocks can be deadly too. MANY techniques to choose from, most of them work, right now today it is YOUR call. Tight Lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Still using those 1-2 inch shiny lures? I hope so since I cleaned out tackle warehouse of their 1/4 oz. kastmasters in chrome and chrome/blue today.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 10-14-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #191
Mahigeer

Drove today for two hrs. to get OWNER single replacement hooks.

They are made to replace the treble hooks.

They are suppose to be strong. Will see.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #192
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Never straightened out an OWNER hook yet!! Hashem they should be fine.
Jeff bring them all, someone might want to buy a few from you.
Buddha's Bait's Mexico. "U hook em Buddha cook um."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Drove today for two hrs. to get OWNER single replacement hooks.

They are made to replace the treble hooks.

They are suppose to be strong. Will see.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #193
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Sven and Steve are at my place. Danny and friends are at a palapa in front of restaurant and leaving tomorrow. Sven might have caught a 30+# Jack Cravelle, so there are big fish in the area. He called to let me know that the guys working on the concrete floor were doing a great job. Floor should be done TOMORROW, then maybe the outside ramp will be done Friday. Means I can start on the inside soon. Happy days are here again!!!!!! Tight Lines and fishy dreams.
See you guys 84 hours from NOW at Johnny's Shell Station. Paradise here we come AGAIN!!! You too can ride the BAJA EXPRESS.
Are Jack Cravelle good eats?

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #194
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Never tasted one Rob but I do know that the Rose Snapper and OM Corvina you took home to mom were MUCH better. Tight Lines partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Are Jack Cravelle good eats?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #195
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Another Mexico call

While waiting to see my doctor this afternoon I received a second phone call from Sven with an update. Sven and Steve caught two yellow tail today. He said every time they got the yaks up to trolling speeds they were bit. WFO mostly SIERRA, BASS, TRIGGERS, but fish after fish, after fish!!! The small mega baits and rapala type lures too. SILVER, SILVER, SILVER WFO!!!!! He said one YT was small 4 pounds.

GUYS bring a light outfit just to have a ball with. I will be surprized if anyone on this trip does not have a hundred fish day if they wanted one. a light spinning rod or a fly rod should be just the ticket, I will bring my 8 wt. to play around with.

In other news the cement floor inside our place is DONE, Sven said it looked good and they were working on the entrance ramp. So our new place is coming along just fine.

60 hours till we meet up at Johnny's Shell station, is EVERYONE ready for a fishing trip to paradise???? Tight Lines and fishy dreams.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-14-2015, 05:47 PM   #196
Mahigeer

Thanks for the update Sir.

These hot days we are having in LA are like "Spring training" for fishing in Baja.

I got lots of small lures, maybe I should get more!!

Two fly rods and homemade flies to experiment with.

See you in Vista soon.

Was the trolling speed reached with Mirage drive or paddles? My guess is the Mirage drive.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #197
Dannowar

mahigeer

stop playing around, bring some big boy tackle, hike out to the bird shit rock at bufeo at low tide and catch one of these, in ten feet of water....

...i was chasing yellow snapper around a rock when i went face to face with this big mother.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM   #198
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Way to go Danny, been feeding those puppies for years. Yep it is hard to get the guys in close enough the other problem is that they almost always rock you. Nice fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
mahigeer

stop playing around, bring some big boy tackle, hike out to the bird shit rock at bufeo at low tide and catch one of these, in ten feet of water....

...i was chasing yellow snapper around a rock when i went face to face with this big mother.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 10-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #199
Dannowar

this was the only cabrilla i took from the point. i was hanging out in massive balls of bait and watching the sierra absolutely go nuts. also hanging out shallow and hunting the VERY skiddish yellow snapper.....also stumbled upon a small DOGGY SNAPPER which made quite the meal.

visibility wasn't too great inshore. Our highspot on the other hand greeted us with 60 foot visibility and no shortage of Pargo, cabrilla and even a teenage gulf grouper.

Guys headed down, TONS of gill netting pangas out fishing every day/evening/night. tons of bait.

good luck and safe travels

Bob, if you could gather any info about the house for lease up the road that would be awesome!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #200
Mahigeer

Will do Dannowar. Thanks for the tip.
My (2) two speed Avets are ready to go along with some smaller Shimanos. #60 braid with red Seaguar #25-30 top shot.

I got big Krocks and some poppers in different sizes. My go-to iron is Salas 6 X Jr. in scrambled.
I even have some knock-off flatfall lures.

Tied some weird looking flies with lots of flash on them. One even has lead wire, so it can sink.

Is that fish from the current trip, or previous ones?