Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
kpasadr
Junior

Migrants

Greetings, new to the site and never posted but thought I would share for general interest and safety. Headed out to the kelp beds off La Jolla for bass a week ago friday. A few migrants showed up to remind me of the importance of life jackets and equipment tie downs...

They were cruising right through the kelp at only 30-40ft depth and the current took me right into their path. I was one tail flick away from taking a swim. Here are a few screen shots from the video which ended up profanity laden as I scrambled to get out of the way. The last one surfaced about 5 feet from my kayak and headed right underneath. Sure makes one feel small out there...
Attached Images

kpasadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
kirkdavis

Good safety reminder

And good story....and good pics to back up your story! That is just one example of why we wear PFDs and carry other safety gear. Things can go from calm to crazy in a flash.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
FISH11

Thanks for sharing. That's why every trip out to LJ is so special. The wild life and how close it can get is amazing. Just adds to the experience, the stories and memories you get from such a great location. Sometimes you even get to bring home some trophy fish for dinner.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

I've always wondered about getting swamped by a whale. I feel like they probably wouldn't actually hit a boat, since they're pretty damn smart, but one can never be sure.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:57 AM   #5
Aaron&Julie

Nice photos and thanks for sharing. How was the fishing?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
kpasadr
Junior

Thanks, Conditions were great with barely any wind but quite a strong current. That made for quite a few kelp snags at the low tide but managed 5 calico and sand bass all off swimbaits. One fatty kept for tacos...
Attached Images

kpasadr is offline   Reply With Quote