Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
Amish Ed

El Capitan and Mission Bay, 4-2-15

Landwhale and I decided to change it up a bit and do some LMB fishing this week.

Got in line at El Cap about 5:30, I had to pay twice as the machine didn't spit out my ticket. At 6:05 they let us in and we launched next to the rental dock. Steve's FF battery died, so he was fishing blind. A kid next to the dock nailed a 7.5 as we launched. We headed for the dam arm and worked the shoreline. The wind was offshore and blew us towards the dam. Steve eventually got one on the blade. I couldn't buy a bite. We moved to the other side when we got to the buoy line and worked part of that side. The water was super clear and there was annoying moss on the bottom. Plus, there was a ton of boats on the water. Not sure if this is normal for there on a weekday or if it was just because of Spring Break. Probably normal, since most of the anglers were adult males. At 10:00 I still was biteless and Steve still only had the one fish. We decided to tuck tail and run.

12:15 saw us at the ramp next to Sea World. The wind was moving pretty good out of the South and we drifted down towards Ski Beach. But, there was little if any current. Fishing there was really slow too, but I did manage to catch a couple before the wind turned a bit and blew us back towards the ramp. On the return drift I managed a few more including a very aggressive 6" Calico that ate a 4" Ring Hammer. The other 4 were spotties, to 13", and they all ate a 5" New Penny Paddlerz. Hot Sauce for flavor of course. It should be noted that there is little eel grass in that channel. There's some on the sides, but in the middle it's very scattered and very scarce. 2:15 we were back at the ramp and 3:00 found us back on the 5 heading home.

ETA: We only saw 2 fish caught all morning.

Last edited by Amish Ed; 04-03-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Amish Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I was in MB yesterday as well

I went out to MB yesterday afternoon around 4:30 the wind died down quite a bit and the incoming tide was moving the water around. Low tide was around 3:30 , that may have made things a bit more difficult along with the wind. We managed to catch a bunch. I got 12-15 spotties (lost count of the little guys) with 3 over 14" , lots of aggressive bites, missed a bunch. I caught them on a Z-man redfish spinnerbait with a new penny colored swimbait and an Owner underspin with a pearl 4" grub. I was using Pro-Cures Calico Cocktail for flavor We were between Ventura cove and Vacation Island. Next time you get down this was PM me I would love to fish with you!

Cheers,
Bernie
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Yeah, some moving water would've been nice to have. Glad you got some though. We normally fish on Fridays. I'll try to post up next time we come down.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
JeffB

I wouldn't mind catching a 7.5# like that kid. Thanks for the report. I've been wanting to get in on some bed fishing action.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Amish Ed

I didn't look super hard, but I didn't see any beds.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Pocoloco

fished there(cap) last week and the fish are on beds. Water is gin clear. Tough to catch em when they can see you first.. Caught all my fish in deeper water. Crappie are biting also.
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Amish Ed

Glad you found some. How deep were you catching them? We're pretty clueless green bass fishermen.