Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Hunter (The 80's Man)

A Reel Find

If you're not familiar with Alan Tani's website, you should be. This website's got everything you'll ever need to know to service your reels, find and order parts.

I found a really cool post the other day on how to pimp out your old Diawa SL's. There was a link to a local machine shop (just-so-happen to be less than 5 miles from my house). The guy builds aluminum frames to replace your old broken-down graphite ones. Combine these frames with some carbontex drag washers, throw in a new bearing or two, and you got a sweet little upgraded reel.

He makes two sizes (for now)... SL20sh and SL30sh, which are actually smaller than the original frames. They come with all new screws and even alan wrenches for assembly.

(An inside look at the left side of the reel... Take your time and the transfer is actually pretty easy.)

The final product. SL20sh, full 7075 aluminum frame with tons of smooth drag, and capable of holding 375 yards of 50 pound PowerPro.

Here's the link: http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com/DAIWA.html

The guy's name is Mike, super cool (if you're going to contact, email the charter address, not the att... tell him Rob the kayak guy sent you)

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #2
octico

I love Alan Tani's website I had to rebuild one of my surf reels (daiwa exceler) everything I need was there.

Those new frames look nice ... gonna have to check out ebay for some older reels
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
kauaiboy04

every time i went go to that site, they are always out of my model reel. and they still are!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
skrilla

Cool upgrade a couple of my buddies have em. It does make the "slosh" into a whole new reel. The deal breaker for me was no provisions for clamp screws.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
JeffB

That's pretty tight!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
senorwaffles
Junior

My dad got one of these as a gift sweet looking reel.
senorwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaiboy04 View Post
every time i went go to that site, they are always out of my model reel. and they still are!
He does the reels for fun. I noticed the same thing on his website and I just shot him an email and he had what I was looking for. It was my impression that he doesn't really keep up with the website. He did tell me when I was there that he was getting ready for another big run of frames.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote