Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #1
deepdvr

Another newbie gear setup question

Hey everyone,

Over the past year I've gotten back into fishing, primarily spending my time doing the freshwater thing. I now have my yak and I'm excited to get out on the salt and go for the larger models. I've been using my bass gear in the bays and its been fine for the usual suspects. I know I'll probably need 2 or 3 new rigs to handle different saltwater species/situations. I want to head out to LJ and other kelp areas and continue to target halibut in the bay.

I'm hoping to get advice on what works for you.

My requirements: I need a left hand retrieve reel due to a bad left arm/shoulder. As usual, I'd like to keep the cost reasonable (maybe $50-$150 for rods, $100-$300 for reels). I'd also like the setups to be good to use on private or party boats.

My initial thoughts were an Avet MXJ 2 speed and then maybe a calcutta 401 or cardiff 401. Do any of you use low profile reels like the 301 Shimano Curado or Revo Toro for anything other than calicos or bonitos or is it too dicey with the spool size?

I figured a Shimano Teramar rod would be nice to have. I'm really in the dark when it comes to rod types/brands/uses for saltwater.

Is it necessary to spend the $ on the 2 speed avet? Is a single speed ample? Will the calcutta or cardiff be enough reel for YT or WSB? Is a non-level wind necessary or any better?

Are the Ugly stick Tigers worth the $60? How about the seekers at $109? I've heard of the Penn Sabres but I've never seen them in a store.

Sorry to ramble on and on. Thanks in advance for the help!

Eric

Last edited by deepdvr; 09-06-2009 at 05:17 PM.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
steamroll

I'm a lefty also. I've been using Avet SX's for my bait reels. They work great. My yoyo iron reel is a lefty Penn 500 jigmaster (narrow spool) and I throw surface irons on a Newell 332. All my reels were under $200
Old 09-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
punchjamesarnol

Pick one in your budget, get a good old penn 500 and a 7" rod. Go .
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
kurt

I like the Daiwa Sealines. Very tough. I'm not sure if they offer left-handed models. Seekers are good rods. I've had an Ugly Stick Tiger for a year now and no problems if you want to go less expensive. Penn Sabres are junk.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote