Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
GTboosted

LA Area

Anyone kind enough to post or pm any easy launch sites within an hr drive from the San Fernando Valley?

This Saturday I will go fish Castaic to spend some time with the family and to get my new PA14 dialed in. But I am ready to get back to saltwater.

In the past I wouldn't care where I would launch with my tarpon. Now that I have this heavy beast, I need to find accessible launch sites that wont break my back or have high surf. BTW I have the hobie beach cart so I can move it across sand if need be. Also note that I have a trailer.

Last edited by GTboosted; 10-10-2016 at 01:51 PM.
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
CrazzyGar

Cabrillo Beach. Easy parking & launch. Short pull across the sand & flat calm beach launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #3
GTboosted

Thanks for the tip.

Forgot to mention I have a trailer.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
socal.beach.bum

Carrillo has a boat launch very easy access and launch, I think kings harbor does as eel but don't know the specifics
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Thanks for the tip.

Forgot to mention I have a trailer.

Cabrillo also has a boat launch. But you will have to pay for it. KH has a boat launch but you can park in the trailer parking lot & walk your yak to the kayak paddle board dock & dock launch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
GregAndrew

There are a bunch, but depending on what you plan on targeting some may or may not suit you. Also, your 1 hour time limit will depend on when you plan on driving there (coming home you will probably not find one within an hour). Marina Del Rey boat launch, King Harbor in Redondo and Cabrillo Beach can provide you with both harbor and open water fishing. Claremont St. Catamaran Launch, Queen Mary boat launch, and J St. are all decent spots for Long Beach Harbor. You could probably reach Leo Carrillo and County Line beaches in an hour, but choose your days wisely.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #7
GTboosted

Thanks guys.

The hour limit is just in general. I can go further out every now and then. But I want to fish more often now so I feel finding local spots is beneficial. I am aware of most harbors but want to do more open water. County line is easily within driving distance but I just want to avoid big waves as much as possible. In my short time launching, I never had trouble getting out. Losing a paddle is another story....(that some dudes on this site probably heard about lol) So yeah not afraid of big surf just worried about stuff breaking. Specially my shiny new PA.

I guess I will have to take a cruise down pch one of these days
Old 10-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Thanks guys.

The hour limit is just in general. I can go further out every now and then. But I want to fish more often now so I feel finding local spots is beneficial. I am aware of most harbors but want to do more open water. County line is easily within driving distance but I just want to avoid big waves as much as possible. In my short time launching, I never had trouble getting out. Losing a paddle is another story....(that some dudes on this site probably heard about lol) So yeah not afraid of big surf just worried about stuff breaking. Specially my shiny new PA.

I guess I will have to take a cruise down pch one of these days

Don't waste your time driving up and down the coast, that is unless you're the type that likes walks on the beach and sunsets. 99.999% of the kayakers on this site fish the same areas for the same two reasons; access and access. Like Greg said, getting there is never the problem, getting home is a whole different ball game.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Don't waste your time driving up and down the coast, that is unless you're the type that likes walks on the beach and sunsets. 99.999% of the kayakers on this site fish the same areas for the same two reasons; access and access. Like Greg said, getting there is never the problem, getting home is a whole different ball game.
But when you have an cooler filled with fish the drive is more bearable.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
But when you have an cooler filled with fish the drive is more bearable.
WORD

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
GTboosted

True true. I actually dont mind long drives...just dont think I can be on the road for looong drives every single weekend.

I have been going to June lake loop(5hrs one way) for years but now that I have a trailer I might make it up there once a month starting next spring.

I am just like everyone here, happy to just be on the water. Pissed when I get skunked but overall, always go back.

Only reason why I asked was because I have a beast of a kayak and dont think I can drag it or launch thru the old spots I used to go thru. In reality I dont want no honey hole, just some info on really accesible launch sites besides the obvious harbors. Maybe some private rd where I can slap my wheels on and launch thru small surf. But I guess there is none or someone really thinks another kayaker will deplete their secret spot lol

Maybe once my kayak has battle scars I will say fugg it and go back to county line again
Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
King Saba

The drive back shouldn't be as bad on weekends as compared to during the workweek, but in any case it always suck. You could plan around that by getting up before sunrise and getting off the water before noon. And, your hull will get scratched eventually. It's unavoidable.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
radastaff

PM sent

good luck out there bro...

Paul
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote