Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 10-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Looking to buy a vhf. Anyone got a deal?

Need a vhf but don't mind buying one used. Anyone willing to sell?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
chillblaze

at west marine they are selling 2 for 80 dollars
chillblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Because of the kayak environment, I recommend a submersible VHF... I picked up this one for a 2nd VHF, after shipping it was about $98...

Standard Horizon 270

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|302025|320653|321078&id=321852
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
hooked
on phonics

Does anyone know how well the 2 for $80 VHFs from west marine hold up over time?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked
Does anyone know how well the 2 for $80 VHFs from west marine hold up over time?
I can only give you my experiences. I purchase a 2 pack from West Marine, gave one to my brother and kept one for me. It comes with a "waterproof" bag and it is supposedly submersible.

Mine ended up in my cupholder most of the time sitting in 3-4 inches of water/blood/beer. It worked great for about 3-4 months, then DIED.

I'm not using the model that Chris provided a link for. I think the West Marine ones should only be used as back up.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I know that they are expensive, but the Standard Horizon radios are very reliable. I have an Hx471 and the earlier, single band version of that model. The old one has survived 4 years of paddling and has been completely immersed too many times to remember. I always keep it in the pocket of my PFD and it is constantly subjected to salt water. The only problem that I have is a small amount of rust on the speaker grill and some pitting on th external charging terminals. Now I occasionally spray all exposed metal with Boeshield T9 and I've not had any further corrosion. Both radios have been dropped a time or two, but still work fine. Standard Horizon radios are well engineered and with proper care will last a long time. I always keep mine attached to my PFD with a leash; as I would hate to drop a $300 radio in the drink.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

icom is the leading brand in terms of handheld vhf.

the 2 pack frow west marine are a joke. They have a 2mile range maybe.

you want something that runs on atleast 5 watts transmit power. most better radios have a 2 or 5 watt setting for power saving and different range. Basically, the number of watts equals your range in miles, but vhf operates on line of sight... if you can see the other person you should be able to talk to them.

the icom 72 has the highest submersible rating (ipx8) and a 6 watt setting. this is the best radio n the market these days. its 199.99 but worth it...

batteries are the next thing to think about. I like the option of the alkaline battery tray so I can run on AA batteries if needed.
peace
owyn
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote