Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Trout
Looks are everything

Aloha...

Hey guys. Long time no fish. Just wanted to stop by and say hi. Oahu is producing some nice fishies (when I can get out). I'm actually guilty of surfing more than fishing lately (North Shore is pumping), but that will change when the swell and trade winds die down. Kayak fishing is becoming more and more popular here... and when I stopped by the local paddle shop, they actually had photos of some of your ugly mugs :shock: There are a few clubs forming and I'm sure some tourneys will pop up (I just don't have the motivation to do it myself). Riggings are still pretty pre-historic, and it's like the East Coast - LOTS OF SPINNING GEAR. It's funny how far everything has come, and when some of these guys look at my sonar, internal live bait tank, flush mount rod holders, etc., etc., etc., their jaws drop. Pretty funny. Unfortunately I won't be back to SD for the holidays to fish the New Year, but I will be back for a few weeks in July (after sampling some 'yak fishing in the San Juan Islands in the Northwest). Whether I can handle the dog and pony show of LJ in July is to be determined, but I'm sure I'll be out there in some way, shape, or form. A quick Baja trip will be on the menu for sure. -- Aloha, Trout
Old 12-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
MKNOTT

Whats up man. Are you a part of the 100lb alua club yet. Those fish are bad ass. If you forward me some more pics I promis I'll get em up for ya. Sorry I blew it off last time. Hope to see you out here soon. MKNOTT

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Right on Trout, the San Juan Islands are on my wish list
Old 12-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #4
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Hola Trout-I know there are a few guys on the South Shore, but they don't say much about it, if you know what I mean. You're doing the right thing by taking in the North Shore action. The fish will still be there later.
ronbo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Trout
Looks are everything

Hey Mike... I thought I had been sending you photo updates, but you aren't on my list. Shoot me an email at trout@adnc.com and I'll get you on (can't seem to find your address). No 100 pound Ulua yet. Actually not even close (you have to try!). They are pretty elusive and you have to put a lot of time and effort into it... and even if you hook one, your landing ratio is very low. It's along the same lines as cruising LJ with 20# test and both hooking AND landing a 50# YT. It takes paying dues and time OTW (ie, usual suspects, mad scientist, arne, ice, c-level). Andy... this paddle shop here in Kailua had several of your photos and articles posted in the shop, as well Arne and a few others. Sorry, I guess your mugs aren't that ugly. The owner is very interested, with the exception of tiger sharks here. Anyway, the family is stoked for the San Juan Islands trip and I'll send you some photos upon return, even though it's a good 7 months away. Looks like a number of species will be closed to fishing that time, but it'll still be an adventure and looks beautiful to paddle. Some of the guys on Northwestkayakanglers.com have been very helpful pointing me in the right direction, and I think I'll have to bring some of my own riggings, as not much is available to rent other than stripped down yaks. I'll send baldy some photos to post of hawaii fishies, and other than that, see you in July. Baja is on my mind for sure. I miss that more than anything. :cry: