Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Dana reefs

Since NP absolutely sucked today, I need to try something new....Without giving away your honeyhole, can someone give me an idea how to find the reefs off Dana point? I know they are south of the harbor, but roughly how far out and down etc... I plan on launching off Doheny for the shorter paddle

Thanks
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Amish Ed

I like the areas from the pedestrian bridge south. Lots of scattered stuff from all the way inside to like 40'. There's stuff deeper too, just not as easy to find.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Where's pedestrian bridge? Somebody sent me this pic a while back... look about right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOOGLEMAPdana.jpg (71.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
DanaPT

That looks about right. . .

Head south. I seem to use the outer harbor wall as the "side-line" and the coast as the other side-line.

As you head south past the San Juan Creek, and the camping spots, and you'll see the hotels, and then a foot bridge. This is all the Doheny State Park area.

This area has sandy/weedy spots, kelp stringers and rock structure. Take care to look at swells/surf report. There is an outer reef that can produce a wave. I suppose a rogue wave could cause problems if you aren't paying attention and caught inside.

have fun.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
Where's pedestrian bridge? Somebody sent me this pic a while back... look about right?
That map will give you a pretty good idea. The whole area in front of Capo beach has some nice structure spots. Good action on the bass, and there are some very big halibut that patrol the sandy areas in-between the reefs as well. On a low tide, there will be some reefs that expose themselves. With a low tide and any sort of swell you will also be able to get an idea of where the deeper reefs are, because the water will swirl and discolor around those submerged reefs. Watch out for the swells though. There are some reefs in the deeper water that will cause waves to break even in 50 feet of water. I've had a few pucker moments out there. Just make sure you watch the swells in the reefy areas and you should be fine. Good luck
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
mrJB

More...
Zoom In on:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18746.shtml
Old 05-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Awesome info, appreciate it. Roughly how far of a paddle out of mouth till I find some fishy reefs . I'll mostly be targeting bass as usual but may put my bait tank to use if I can make bait.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
DanaPT

You can always drop $10 at the bait barge.

I've not tried to make bait in this area, but there is patchy kelp bed south of the red bouie.

good luck, show us some good pics of the adventure.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Dana was beautiful. Got a super late start, headed out with CheapPelican (Chris) and got there at 430pm. Wind was way up, prob up to 15 mph. Plan was to find the reefs. Found a a few but was too difficult to stay over them with the wind. Caught a healthy calico on a BH in a redish color to break in my new Okuma Serrano reel. Battled the wind back. Didn't get to fish much but am excited to come back when wind is down! Sweet spot for sure, gotta check it out if you haven't yet.