Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Thanksgiving with Rossman AGAIN

We leave on the 20th of November to spend Thanksgiving in beautiful Asuncion. Fishing for yellows, world class calicos, bonita and corvina. We return 1 December, plan on camping at Rossman's place, and maybe taking a side trip to Punta Eugenia and or Punta Quebrada to fish and beach camp.

Anglers are:
Makobob
Deamon
Buddha
John friend of Buddha
Sivak
CON KSO
petethefishboy
MITCHELL

This is an open trip, anyone wanting to join us is welcome. You can caravan with us or meet us along the way, leave when you want. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 08-07-2017 at 05:41 PM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Sivak

I might just have to join you on this trip too.
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivak View Post
I might just have to join you on this trip too.
Dave I put you on the list, welcome aboard.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
CON KSO

I'd like to come along!

I'll be leaving San Diego on Sat. 18th and plan on taking two days to get to B.Asuncion.

I'll have my truck with Callen Camper and will trailer my PA14.

I like to cross at Tecate and drive down to San Felipe through La Rumorosa. Will either camp outside of San Felipe at one of the many spots there or push it on to camp off the road to Calmajue wash.

Most likely will have my dirtbike on the bumper for beer runs or beach/shore fishing.

Excited for this one!
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #5
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

This is starting to look like a great group of pescadores. Really looking forward to some visitors. Couple tanks of fuel and you are here and there's plenty of room so come on down.

For those of you that don't follow me on FB, I bought a little tin boat a few months ago to extend my range. I still kayak a bit but lately I have been exploring the offshore scene and last week I had some good success on tuna and dorado. Today I am going out to begin my hunt for a wahoo. The locals do not remember ever seeing tuna in July so this may be shaping up to be a good season for the exotics
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
I'd like to come along!

I'll be leaving San Diego on Sat. 18th and plan on taking two days to get to B.Asuncion.

I'll have my truck with Callen Camper and will trailer my PA14.

I like to cross at Tecate and drive down to San Felipe through La Rumorosa. Will either camp outside of San Felipe at one of the many spots there or push it on to camp off the road to Calmajue wash.

Most likely will have my dirtbike on the bumper for beer runs or beach/shore fishing.

Excited for this one!

Welcome aboard, finally get to fish with you. This has been a great trip every year we do it, Lots of fun, fish, food. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
CON KSO

Yes!

Super excited for this trip - try not to laugh but I've never caught a yellowtail. Hoping this will be the trip to take care of that.

If anybody has a list of must-have jigs or any other gear that I should have please post it so that I can get stocked up.

Quick question - do you guys try to bring fillets home? If so do you freeze it there or is there an ice factory to load up the coolers in town?

Also, hope you don't mind, but it's looking like I'm going to have a fishing buddy come along with me.

He's actually one of my past students (I'm a high school chem teacher) and the dude most responsible for getting me crazy about kayak fishing.

I think he's on this site as petethefishboy - he'll probably chime in but he's a fish crazy hombre and we began laying down plans tonight for the trip.

Thanks for setting all this up can't wait to meet you all!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

CON KSO your friend Pete has been added to the MASTER list. Welcome aboard. BUT be prepaired to bring crockadiles, salas 6xjr in blue and white and scramble egg single hook if you can find them. Plastics for the big calicos too.
BTW you and Pete will need to plan, and prepair a dinner one night for the whole crew. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-02-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Yes!

Super excited for this trip - try not to laugh but I've never caught a yellowtail. Hoping this will be the trip to take care of that.

If anybody has a list of must-have jigs or any other gear that I should have please post it so that I can get stocked up.

Quick question - do you guys try to bring fillets home? If so do you freeze it there or is there an ice factory to load up the coolers in town?

Also, hope you don't mind, but it's looking like I'm going to have a fishing buddy come along with me.

He's actually one of my past students (I'm a high school chem teacher) and the dude most responsible for getting me crazy about kayak fishing.

I think he's on this site as petethefishboy - he'll probably chime in but he's a fish crazy hombre and we began laying down plans tonight for the trip.

Thanks for setting all this up can't wait to meet you all!
I'll chime in with tackle recommendations for down here. For heavy jigs I mainly fish the Salas 6x Jr. The only color the locals use are the blue and white. I also use them but have had some good success on the green and yellow, and the scrambled egg pattern. I also use Megabaits a lot. Actually they are megabait look alikes. I find the original Megabaits have very poor trebles and split rings so I get knock offs here: http://stores.ebay.com/alltackledepo...p2047675.l2563. You can get 16 for like 30 bucks and they have much better trebles and split rings. 3.5 oz is what I use. You will get yellowtail action on these and a lot of bycatch like calicos, sheepshead, sand bass and whitefish. Shiny Krocodiles type spoons can be used off the beach or pretty much everywhere. I get mine at the same site listed above. Your favorite plastics will work fine down here but you will go through a lot of them because the calico are everywhere and voracious. For trolling, I use the X Rap magnum 30 however I find they can't be used effectively on a kayak as you really need depth and speed to trigger a bite. That is pretty much it for my tackle box. If it is shiny and/or wiggles, it will probably get bit. I do not use live bait mainly because there has not been much around. However right now the whole area is choked with sardine and mackerel so who knows what November will be like.

BTW Absolutely zero problem on my end with you bringing someone else along. Plenty of room to set up at my place. It will be sort of like camping in your back yard. Camping but still have the use of the indoor facilities.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Last edited by rossman; 08-02-2017 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Another thought
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

We usually only keep fish to eat down here but ice is available here and if your fish are caught in the last couple of days ice works. Ross might let you freeze your fish at his place. Pm him and ask. Also ask him if there is anything you can bring down for him. Tight Lines amigos.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
CON KSO

Sounds great - thanks for all the tips - I will commence shopping! Pete works at Squidco so I'm sure he'll know what's available.

I've got conventional gear but I'm planning on fly fishing as well - anybody else gonna chuck feathers? If you've got any data on patterns that work - I'm all ears.

Put us down for cheeseburgers for our dinner night.

Thanks Rossman for the invite and use of facilities. With the exception of bathroom/toilet facilities my truck is Baja-camping ready.

If anything else comes to mind- we're listening!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
Deamon

Quote:

Pete works at Squidco so I'm sure he'll know what's available.
GAME CHANGER RIGHT THERE!!! Pete and I need to talk...I need stuff now and prior to our trip...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
GAME CHANGER RIGHT THERE!!! Pete and I need to talk...I need stuff now and prior to our trip...
ME TOO!!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Bunch of lucky guys! This is a bucket list trip for me... I got to get down there.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
romspacenut

Gonna try and make it this year. Anyone only going for a week?
romspacenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #16
Sivak

I'll be throwing the fly. I primarily use something like a size 1/0 yak hair fly or clouser. Blue/White, Green/White or Black/White. I'll take an 8WT and a 10WT. Tippet no lighter than 20lb. I typically use 25lb. They are not line shy and there are lots of toothy critters.
Sivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #17
domtesta27

Quote:
I'll be throwing the fly. I primarily use something like a size 1/0 yak hair fly or clouser. Blue/White, Green/White or Black/White. I'll take an 8WT and a 10WT. Tippet no lighter than 20lb. I typically use 25lb. They are not line shy and there are lots of toothy critters.
Exactly what Sivak said, Clousers, clousers, and more clousers. I remember being in Gonzaga last October and I had 3 full boxes of flies tied for the trip and I never used anything but Chartreuse/white and white/white clousers the entire trip. Deceivers also work really well especially if you end up flyfishing from the Yak....

Make sure you tie a bunch of different sizes, I have some as small as 1 inch and as large as 4.5 inches.

heres my Gonzaga Bay yellowtail, first on the fly and first from the yak on a 1.5 inch chartreuse/white clouser.

yellowtail.jpg
domtesta27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #18
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
Bunch of lucky guys! This is a bucket list trip for me... I got to get down there.
You my friend told me the same thing last year and the year before that. enough said, Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #19
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDROB View Post
One more tank of fuel from where you normally go can hardly be considered a Bucket List trip. Mueve tu culo aquÃX abajo
— Herman Melville

Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #20
CON KSO

Quote:
Great info - thanks!

In general, are you tying longer clousers for down there - say 4 - 5" long?

Also- I'm assuming full sinking line?

My heavier 8 and 10wts are parked outside of La Paz but I do have an Orvis Frequent Flyer 8wt that I'll bring and a TFO Mangrove 6wt.