Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Corvina, Orange Mouth, in the Northern Baja

Corvina, Orange Mouth, Baja’s beach predator.
by Makobob
Orange Mouth Corvina, raiders of sandy beaches. This article will tell you where, when, what to use and how to catch them. The Orange Mouth makes it easy to identify then. They are one of the best eating fish in the Sea of Cortez. And they are easily caught from the beach. In fact the highest success rate is from the beach.

Corvina over 10# caught on a fly.
Fly caught Corvina over 10# by Dave Sivak
From the slews of the Colorado river where it turns brackish to Gonzaga Bay are prime areas to catch these beautiful fish. There range extends to Chiapas Mexico and there are other PRIME sports in between. We will stay tuned into the areas from north San Felipe to Gonzaga. SANDY beaches produce the best catches.

Corvina time anyone?
Brian with beach caught corvina.
These fish have a silvery body with a blue tinge on the back. It has a tail that is longer in the center than at the ends. Two spike teeth are centered on the roof of the mouth. The inside of the mouth is YELLOW/ORANGE. They grow to 50 lbs according to the IGFA.

They feed on bait fish, sardines, anchovies, and SHRIMP. They thrive on and in beaches , bays, and estuaries. Traveling in schools they raid the bait and sometimes crowd them to the beach. In years past the schools were huge. Now the schools are usually much smaller.

Beach caught corvina
Orange mouth caught on a crocodile from the beach within site of mako-ville
When you catch one there are others in the same area. But schools move pretty fast. Sometimes you need to follow them or move to a new area of the beach. What areas of the beach you ask?

If you scout the beach at low tide you will find natural channels and cuts on the beach. Sometimes where the slope of the beach ends there is a pocket. A change from gravel to sand. At higher tides these areas work to hold bait fish. This gives the corvina a good feeding area in which to ambush their prey.

Tackle can be almost anything from line spooled around a beer can to surf casting gear. I like to fish 10-12 pound test on a light rod. Casting a crocodile or kastmaster usually works well. A fly rod using a Clouser or Deciever will take its fair share. A longer surf rod with a crocodiles can cover more water faster. I usually start this was until a school is found. Then switch to lighter gear.

A ten pound corvina is a nice fish and are not unusual. A twenty pounder lives in the area, but th will probably break you off. Or rather SHAKE you off. Their mouths are tender. If you hold your rod high you will lose them. After hooking one lower your rod to one side and keep your rod tip low as you fight him.

This tactic serves a couple of purposes. With the rod tip low your friends won't know you are hooked up. AND keeping it low your chances of landing the fish is greater. Always back up when the fish is in a couple of feet of water or less. Just back him up on to the beach a couple of feet. Then go pick him up, he is yours.

If you get him into shallow water and get excited. DO NOT lift your rod tip to pull him in. That WILL most likely cost you the fish. Slap, flip and he is gone, remember that soft mouth.

All pictures are at mako-ville, Tight Lines Amigos. This article will be updated in the spring as we do an exploratory trip from North of San Felipe to Puertocitos, keep an eye out for it.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

corvina

you are right bob corvina have very soft mouths. was at gonzaga in october, caught several fishing from the kayak casting toward shore. could not belive how shallow water I caught them. with a small silver spoon at a cobble stone beach. fish were four to seven pounds. they were in wolf packs along the shore line.sometimes I could see them hit the spoon. water was super clear and shallow, a real fun time there Jim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitinsidejim View Post
you are right bob corvina have very soft mouths. was at gonzaga in october, caught several fishing from the kayak casting toward shore. could not belive how shallow water I caught them. with a small silver spoon at a cobble stone beach. fish were four to seven pounds. they were in wolf packs along the shore line.sometimes I could see them hit the spoon. water was super clear and shallow, a real fun time there Jim
Always a great fish. Nice fight and fantastic eating. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
paddle man

salton sea corvina

BOB I REMEMBER FISHING IN THE 50,60,70s WE USED MUD SUCKERS FOR BAIT I STILL HAVE A PLASTIC MUD SUCKER THE CORVINA HAD A TEAST OF THEIRE OWN ON THE BAR-BQUE I WONDER IF THEY TASTE THE SAME FROM BAHA AND THE SALTEN SEA ?
paddle man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle man View Post
BOB I REMEMBER FISHING IN THE 50,60,70s WE USED MUD SUCKERS FOR BAIT I STILL HAVE A PLASTIC MUD SUCKER THE CORVINA HAD A TEAST OF THEIRE OWN ON THE BAR-BQUE I WONDER IF THEY TASTE THE SAME FROM BAHA AND THE SALTEN SEA ?
Guess you will have to eat one from mako-ville and then trust your memory to compare them. I love them. Tight Lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN