Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
SorryCharlie

LJ 10/2 - Not much going on..

Quick report on the conditions at lj yesterday.

Launched at about 7, surf was on the larger side with several guys hanging out waiting for it to die down. If you are not comfortable with larger surf launches, I would recommend avoiding LJ until the surf dies down. My coworker and I loaded up and hit the water. Took him 2 tries to get out, but managed it fairly quickly after one learning role over. I got lucky and seemed to time it right and got out with a bit of a drenching.

Water temp dropped over 2 degrees from last weekend. Last Saturday I was out and it was nearly 76, yesterday it was 73 in the morning just breaking 74 in the afternoon. Water was relatively clear (maybe 15-20ft vis), but had a lot of ell grass and kelp on the surface making trolling a pain.

Bait was the most difficult it has been for me.... we went to the pier, kelp and everywhere in between and only managed 2 Spanish before noon. Greenbacks were non existent. Let the coworker (he is visiting, and wanted to head out in search of yellows) take the Spanish and start trolling while I searched for greenies. 15 minutes later I look over and he is bendo, fights it for a bit, I see some big head shakes in the rod, then we see it on the surface.... of course it's our toothy friend from down south, so we get it to leader and cut the line.

Gave up on greenies around 1230 and get lucky by getting 4 more Spanish deeper in the kelp in quick succession. We trolled around for nada, at called it a day around 3. Landing wasn't to bad, the tide killed the surf a bit for us, although it was great to sit and watch the rentals come in!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote