Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #1
madscientist

9/7 AM

Hit the water early this morning after hearing of the good stuff yesterday. Saw one boil in the early morning hours but other than that it was slow for most of the morning, though some of the usual suspects got into the early morning bite. Bunch of guys milling around the milling birds, but no consistent spot of activity out deep. Headed in tighter to the kelp on a hunch when my only greenback goes zing. Good fish, so I put the wood to it as much as I could during the sleigh ride but he still finds kelp. Used the strong downhill current to finesse him free, then started the short pump action. Got him to color twice before I finally could make the clumsy left handed gaff shot. Not pretty, but he stuck.

Found another greenie and towed him in but no other action for me. Saw/heard of a few yellows but I guess nothing like the carnage of yesterday. Still, that was so much fun after a week off the water I may have to do it again tomorrow! Who else is gonna be out?
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
twinfin

Saaaweet. Nice quality YT!
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Arne

Very nice fish Brad - way to work it on the hunch. That looks like one of the better grade of YT out there. I'd get out there tomorrow but Adi will likely be out taking all the big fish. Good luck.
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
vellocity

nice Brad!
no exclamation points after our report today, but there are still some fish out there to be caught..
saw some boils early, casted my megabait 3 times perfectly into boils, no love..
trolled bait around for nada, changed to a rapala so i could troll faster and cover more ground, nada..
around 8am i see some puddlers, casted a 7X(thanks to Matt Moyer!) and immediately got bumped! keep swimming my iron back in and see 3 YT's about 15' from my ski chasing my jig.. the smallest one got to it first and the other 2 were LARGE, i mean very LARGE LARGE!! i'm hooked up and my fish is peeling off and i'm watching the two LARGE LARGE YT's swim around me checking out my ski!!! i'm not even going to try and guess how big they were...
for those who fish a 8' jigstick from the yak will appreciate how hard it is to gaff a still GREEN YT!!
looked about 17-18#, recently spawned male..
finally got smart and started taking home fillets without all the carcass!
right here he looks about 7# though
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
lamb

Sounds great to me!!! Congrats you guys.

I don't know about the big fish, but I sure will be there early tomorrow...... 8)
Old 09-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb
Sounds great to me!!! Congrats you guys.

I don't know about the big fish, but I sure will be there early tomorrow...... 8)
yeah... you don't know nothing about BIG fish huh?
see you at the ramp!
stringing 40#izor on my jig stick tonight, look out!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellocity
...see you at the ramp!
I don't think so. Jasmin has some stuff scheduled tomorrow, I told him how sorry I was...

I'll see you around the 5 Palms

I'm a people that paddle tomorrow... 8)
Old 09-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
gabe

all these fish reports got me going. If I get off work early enough, I'll make the long and expensive drive down to LJ. Hopefully I wil make it down there and see ya guys on the water

gabe
gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
tattuna

I'll be there early a.m.
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Nice going Brad, that one looks really long and lean. Did you kill any "rock" fish at the Grand Canyon? I just replaced the 20# for 40# spectra with a really short leader of 25# mono. No kelp too tough! I plan on hitting it tomorrow AM (Brad, still got the FnD?)

Nelz I believe ya on the big ones. The first ones that showed on the corner were all 10-15# The ones I saw around the point were 20-25. The slug that swam right along me had to be 40#.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
vellocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Nice going Brad, that one looks really long and lean. Did you kill any "rock" fish at the Grand Canyon? I just replaced the 20# for 40# spectra with a really short leader of 25# mono. No kelp too tough! I plan on hitting it tomorrow AM (Brad, still got the FnD?)

Nelz I believe ya on the big ones. The first ones that showed on the corner were all 10-15# The ones I saw around the point were 20-25. The slug that swam right along me had to be 40#.
that 40# number got used earlier in the year and i didn't wanna jinx it but yeah, i'm stoked you believe me.. my EYES were BIG looking right at them..

what KNOT you using for the spectra-mono? uni-uni?
been testing 6 turn mono-12 turn spectra and with 3' of spectra and mono on both ends of the knot it's consistently been breaking at only 15# on the spring scale..
i know with alot of mono out the stretch will help the knot be stronger, but with 25' of mono i'm not confident with my knot tying skills.. is there a wrong way to tie a uni-uni? seems pretty easy

any help anyone?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
madscientist

Adi, Andy, any one else...I'll be there with bells on tomorrow AM. (Andy, I'll try to remember the FnD...can I borrow a prowler? Just kidding.) Need an upgrade. And maybe a sweet little one for the grill . The Grand Canyon was great even with no fish, I'll post some pics this evening. Hiking down the thing offers a whole different perspective and a stunning view around every turn. Highly recommended.

Nelz, I've come to swear by doubled spectra (via bimini twist) to a yucatan knot (google it), but even with a uni-to-uni, I think doubling the spectra helps prevent it from cutting into the mono. I've had many uni-to-uni's fail and it may be that I have the same problem tying it. I have seen that the last wrap of mono can slip wrong sometimes when you snug it so keep an eye for that if you stick with it. Uni-to-uni for spectra splices have never failed me though.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #13
lamb

30# spectra + 2 way swivel + 3-4 ft of 25# of floro leader have served me well with the kelp situations.

It looks like a party is on tomorrow. 8)

Baaaaaaaah… :lol:
Old 09-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Nice catch

Nice fish Brad. Glad to see you score after vacationing.
We agree with Adi on using spectra and mono topshot. Using a leader of mono about 3 feet long, palomar knot to the swivel, palomar knot to the swivelled leader, and palomar knot to the hook. Simple and quick. Plus, much more spectra for cutting through the kelp.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
Johnny T.

Just curious-

when you have such a short mono leader attached to spectra, how do you safely work the line and avoid cuts? (I'm assuming this is not an issue with level winds, but most of you are using non-level winds)...

Thanks,
John
Johnny T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #16
madscientist

I actually like a longer leader for exactly that reason. I guess it comes from swinging bluefish on party boats back east. I like to be able to have a turn or two of leader on the spool when the fish is boatside, that way there is no knot at risk and I can grab leader if I have to. However, even with shorter leaders the spectra is usually not a problem, just don't wrap it around your hand and get away from it if the fish runs. Pushing it back and forth as you wind is no problem.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #17
Johnny T.

Thanks Brad. This answers my Qs. I appreciate your help. BTW beautiful YT you landed today! Congrats and it's well deserved

John
Johnny T. is offline   Reply With Quote