Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

9/11 La Jolla

Little bit of wind from the get go. Mellowed out. Sun broke through. Toughest time I have had making bait in a long time. Got one spanish and went fishing. Nothing going at all for the 1st couple hours. Made some more bait and put a greenback out long and a spanish half as far out. Slowly paddling in, got picked up on the spanish. Seemed like a decent YT, pulled me around a bit. As it sounded it broke off at the knot. Kept making my way in and just as I tossed my bait out, at the buoy. Cris (Razorback) called and said he was "ON" Saw him a couple hundred yards out, paddled out to watch the show. Fish was on board before I could get to him. Very nice "1st on the yak" Congratulations. Happy to be your photo beeeeeeeeeyatch!

Old 09-11-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
vellocity

Andy you're messing up our M-W-F schedule!

nice YT!!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
madscientist

Same story for me, minus the YT. Took forever to find bait, but when I did it was all green. Towed em around for a bunch of nothing. Humor of the day was the landing. Was meeting up with Adi at the landing. On the approach, I see a half dozen big leopards right in 3-4 ft of water. As I'm observing the sharks, a big set sneaks up on me. I tried to accelerate but it was to late, perl bad and over I go. Adi laughs his ass off. Called it "jimmH's revenge" :lol:. Only casualty was a pair of cheap sunglasses and some pride. All in all I just wasn't feeling it today, though I gathered some others were. :shock:
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Razorback

Yellowtail Nirvana

Thanks for the pics and props Andy. After I pinned on the last Spanish and saw the blank screen on the meter - I figured I was on a slow train to the shores. What an unexpected suprise to hear the reel scream. I think the only sound I like better than the clicker ripping is that of an outrigger snap.

Sure had fun finessing in my 1st tail and very thankful I was in wide open water. I still don't know how you guys manuever hookups in and outta the kelp. Guess I'll make that next on the learning curve.

I have a new found respect for the purist form of hunting and angling saltwater pelagics. YOU earn it on the yak. VERY rewarding indeed. I told my sons when I got home that for the first time in years of offshore angling I didn't take Today's catch for granted. Today I was grateful. Appropriate for Patriot's Day.

Can't tell you how good it feels to get that first one bagged and under my belt. Monkey OFF and my boys are enjoying cedar plank BBQ HAMACHI for dinner. LIFE is GOOD.

HAWG Out
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote