Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #221
greenscales
greenscales

Buddha - we think alike

I was just pondering Gumbo or Jambalaya just before you posted. I guess i will just have to sit back and enjoy yours. For those that know Ascuncion, how is grocery shopping in the area? Specifically looking at vegetabbles, eggs, and possibly beef - the stuff that doesn't travel well for a week. Thanks
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #222
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Next nearest town is 50 miles away, ASUNCION has veggies, eggs, beef , chicken, but not always up to USA standards or choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
I was just pondering Gumbo or Jambalaya just before you posted. I guess i will just have to sit back and enjoy yours. For those that know Ascuncion, how is grocery shopping in the area? Specifically looking at vegetabbles, eggs, and possibly beef - the stuff that doesn't travel well for a week. Thanks

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 AM   #223
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I wish I could go but I have to work ...5 more years before I can retire good luck and safe passage catch lots of fish
Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #224
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

The beef is really lacking in Asunción. About the only beef you can get is a thinly sliced flap meat that would be great for beef jerky. No matter how I fix it it turns out like jerky. They some times have done big meaty beef ribs which is a great, bit I don't know what happens to the rest of the cow.

Just got back from a couple days of outrageous big yellowtail fishing between.Bahia Tortuga and Punta Eugenia. 4 fish totaling 167 pounds..Hopefully mt Loncheria with WiFi is open tomorrow so I can post some photos and the whole story.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #225
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
The beef is really lacking in Asunción. About the only beef you can get is a thinly sliced flap meat that would be great for beef jerky. No matter how I fix it it turns out like jerky. They some times have done big meaty beef ribs which is a great, bit I don't know what happens to the rest of the cow.

Just got back from a couple days of outrageous big yellowtail fishing between.Bahia Tortuga and Punta Eugenia. 4 fish totaling 167 pounds..Hopefully mt Loncheria with WiFi is open tomorrow so I can post some photos and the whole story.
Ross

I sent you a few PMs regarding the Thanksgiving meal.

Do you like stuffing I always like that for a thanksgiving dinner. A lot of the stuff can be cooked the day before so that we can eat early. Did you want to eat at 3:30? I like candied yams also and they are easy to make.

How does this sound?

Turkey, mashed potatoes candied yams, stuffing, gravy, and simple salad.

I can do it all and you can fish with the guys.

Let me know what time you want to have dinner.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #226
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Ross

I sent you a few PMs regarding the Thanksgiving meal.

Do you like stuffing I always like that for a thanksgiving dinner. A lot of the stuff can be cooked the day before so that we can eat early. Did you want to eat at 3:30? I like candied yams also and they are easy to make.

How does this sound?

Turkey, mashed potatoes candied yams, stuffing, gravy, and simple salad.

I can do it all and you can fish with the guys.

Let me know what time you want to have dinner.

Sorry Jeff, I forgot to respond to the PM. That all sounds great. I'm not a fan of stuffing myself but I am probably in the minority so go for it.. I'm hungry just thinking about the meal. Gravy lots of Gravy!.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #227
buddha

Quote:
Sorry Jeff, I forgot to respond to the PM. That all sounds great. I'm not a fan of stuffing myself but I am probably in the minority so go for it.. I'm hungry just thinking about the meal. Gravy lots of Gravy!.
Did you want everything done at 3:30 PM? What time did you want to have dinner?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #228
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Did you want everything done at 3:30 PM? What time did you want to have dinner?

Yup I'm thinking having everything ready to serve around 330 or 4. Gives everyone a chance to fish and clean up and then put on the feed bag. Might be some other folks popping in and out in the afternoon and evening. No way of predicting when or how many.
— Herman Melville

Old 10-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #229
buddha

Quote:
Yup I'm thinking having everything ready to serve around 330 or 4. Gives everyone a chance to fish and clean up and then put on the feed bag. Might be some other folks popping in and out in the afternoon and evening. No way of predicting when or how many.
Ok then I will cook things in advance and probably get some fishing in the morning probably just calicos near your place instead of San Roque. 4 is more likely. You don't have to help you can go fishing.

BTW: Do you have enough serving bowls for everything that we are making; mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, salad, veggies?

Also do you have a roasting pan with a rack to cook the turkey?

If you have a weber charcoal grill there I can cook the turkey on that also.

Last edited by buddha; 10-29-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #230
buddha

Quote:
I know it sounds strange but if I had a dinner of french toast, hash browns or skillet potatoes with sausage or bacon I would not be unhappy.

You could also make a breakfast burrito for dinner also.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #231
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
I know it sounds strange but if I had a dinner of french toast, hash browns or skillet potatoes with sausage or bacon I would not be unhappy.

You could also make a breakfast burrito for dinner also.
Absolutely agree Jeff. I for one am on the water well before breakfast so breakfast for dinner is not unusual.
— Herman Melville

Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #232
buddha

Quote:
Absolutely agree Jeff. I for one am on the water well before breakfast so breakfast for dinner is not unusual.
Ross I edited a previous post and I guess you missed this.

"Do you have enough serving bowls for everything that we are making; mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, salad, veggies?

If you have a weber charcoal grill there I can cook the turkey on that also."
Old 10-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #233
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Ross I edited a previous post and I guess you missed this.

"Do you have enough serving bowls for everything that we are making; mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, salad, veggies?

If you have a weber charcoal grill there I can cook the turkey on that also."

I'm set with serving bowls and roasting pan with rack. I think I mentioned it before that I am short on plates. I will have plenty of paper plates but if you all like to eat a big meal off a hard plate, like I do,, bring one down with you.
— Herman Melville

Old 11-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #234
greenscales
greenscales

Breakfast for dinner

Ok - I make crazy French Toast, omelettes, etc. premade Latke's are way easier and I find more flavorful than hash brownns. And I am Recently diagnosed as diabetic, so cracking others out on my high carb creations would be a pleasure since I can't enjoy much myself.

As for bacon and eggs then - since I am coming down early, what is the availability of those items in the region? I can try to shop Saturday AM IN SD before heading down, but forgot the Baja 1000 is that weekend, so I may need to get lacrosse the border earlier (or maybe much later).

Still looking for recommendations on both more current, detailed road maps and/or ocean charts for the waters of Central, Pacific Coast Baja.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #235
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Bacon and eggs are always available in the village, and in my refrigerator.

As for maps, the seasoned Baja travelers carry the Baja Almanac. Great book of maps. Been out of print for a while but there is one place that sells then online yet. Can't put my fingers on the URL right now but I know Bob bought one in July so maybe he can help. Or try to Google it. AAA to also did maps for Baja which were pretty good. I heard that they too were out of print but may still be some available if you are a member.

Don't know about paper charts for the Pacific Baja. I always use the Navonics Web app on my laptop to zoom in on an area that I am interested. Difficult to print anything off the app but can be done with screen print. Google Navonics Web app and you will find it.
— Herman Melville

Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #236
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Good luck, nothing seems to be current, I do have a spare copy of the Baja Almanac That could be BORROWED to make copies from. It is the 2009 edition which was the last one printed. For charts you need to go to a chart store, most are also out dated but almost accurate. These are the charts boaters/cruisers use to sail the coasts of Baja and Mexico. Have never seem both map and charts combined would be cool but most boat or drive. If you find please let me know. You might want to get a copy of Charlie's Charts. Fish Maps also puts out 4 fishing charts for Baja. North, South Pacific side, and North, South Sea of Cortez, but again not current. Hope this helps.

Quote:

Ok - I make crazy French Toast, omelettes, etc. premade Latke's are way easier and I find more flavorful than hash brownns. And I am Recently diagnosed as diabetic, so cracking others out on my high carb creations would be a pleasure since I can't enjoy much myself.

As for bacon and eggs then - since I am coming down early, what is the availability of those items in the region? I can try to shop Saturday AM IN SD before heading down, but forgot the Baja 1000 is that weekend, so I may need to get lacrosse the border earlier (or maybe much later).

Still looking for recommendations on both more current, detailed road maps and/or ocean charts for the waters of Central, Pacific Coast Baja.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 11-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #237
greenscales
greenscales

Anyone doing Tackle Day & Oops - forgot about the Baja 1000

First, I am going to go through all my gear this week and be at Fisherman's hardware Saturday for the big sale. Load up on plastics, Seaguar, etc. Looking for suggestions for the Asuncion regulars, for targeting species and gear that we typically don't use for So CA - specially to get Wahoo from the Yak. As anyone else planning on going? I will head to Fastlane after to possibly get a sail for the PA.

So my plan was to load up Fri, 11/20 and head out early Sat, but forgot, that is the Baja 1000. If they race Sat on the 1, I think I will wait until Sunday to head down while everyone sleeps off their hangovers.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #238
Baja_Traveler

When I couldn't find my copy of the Baja Almanac (and discovered that they are long out of print, as the author passed away), I started researching an alternative. I discovered numerous posts over on Expedition Portal on the subject of Baja Mapsets. The most common response from all the off road crowd was to download the Motion X GPS app. Most of those guys are loading it onto iPads and installing iPad mounts in the chase vehicles for the Baja 1000. That's what I did and the trail and street detail is pretty darned good for all of Baja. (though it doesn't show the dirt trail we took out to the point at San Quintin)...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #239
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

These guys still have some of the latest edition of the Baja Almanac in Stock.
http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com/
— Herman Melville

Old 11-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #240
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Calling EastLosYaker and RomSpaceNut. What night are each of you cooking and what are you fixing???? Inquiring minds want to know! Guys this trip is only 18 days away. Getting pretty close. I know for sure that Jim and Sven are chomping at the bit. 40 lb YT are waiting. Fishy dreams guys.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN