Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
Tandem Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
So you can either

1) Earn your fish

or

2) pay someone for your a fish?

sounds like a lot of people are taking the easy way out these days... congrats none the less.

Landing that fish was all you I'm sure, which is a great feat in itself! Good job on that!

Now go get one on your own!
Going out with Josh is no different then going out on a overnight trip or multiday trip - both show you new knots, line selection, different hooks, bait selection, and new areas to target fish.

I have fished LJ for the last 5 years and have caught many throphy's. This year I decided see what the "Gun For Hire" was all about and was not disappointed. In fact, I feel guilty for all the information I have received and how little out of pocket it cost compared to a overnight trip. Not to mention - Josh is one of the hardest working individuals I have ever met. On my first outing we launched at 5:00 am and did not hit the beach until 7:00 pm (only because I wanted to come in).

Josh doesn't hook and hand - he educates and takes you out to the grounds where you apply your new found knowledge. The last two fish I caught while fishing with Josh - we were 1/4 mile away from one another and he had nothing to do with baiting, fighting, or gaffing my throphy. No one is happier then Josh when you do it own your own. Isn't that what teaching is all about?

"Give a man a fish, feed him for the day, Teach a man to fish and feed him for life"

Last edited by Tandem Assassin; 09-20-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: quote
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #22
Whizz Bang

Bob/Yani/Tandem,

Im not sure DB was insulting you guys, I think DB just misunderstood my post and took it as something it wasnt. To be clear. I am jealous of all of Josh's clients and tell them as much when I meet them. You are paying for more than a guide or a shot at a fish, you are paying to tap into an incredible knowledge base and the ability to do so undoubtedly shortens a rather steep learning curve.

Anyone who puts in the time at LJ , guided or unguided, have earned their fish. They, most likely, have earned fish that they never even had the chance to bring to color. But that is the very nature of this passion we all share. You can do everything right, and they may still not bite.

Eric/WS Ride/Skinny Wallet
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #23
1Flatfish
Wayne

Good for you!

Way to go Bob. You HAVE put in your time out there. Running into Josh was your good fortune, but you still earned that fish! In my opinion, time on water is good, but not everyone has time for that time! I can't fish weekdays because of my job any many weekends are booked too. So some of us turn to professionals for help. Something I'm NOT ashamed of in the least. Josh helps people for a cost, but the price is well worth it, and Josh is underpaid! He helped me get my trophy and he can help you too.

Or, you can put time in on the water. How much is your time worth?

Wayne
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #24
Dan

Those are cute fish.

Thanks for taking them out to "the spot".
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
THE DARKHORSE

Congrats on your trophy, Bob!

That's a beautiful fish. He gave his all, run after run. Nice story too.

Especially with that rod you landed him on, Bob. I've got to give you credit, extra points for sure...all bent in half, awesome to watch!

Another look at your trophy. I love this sun through the tail shot.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #26
The Great Blumpkin
Junior

Nice fish! Josh stop telling people to hold their fish way out in front of them, it is silly.........jealous!
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
CobraTandem

Hey Bob,

Just let that 20 Pound Yellowtail be the big fish that it is. Since I have yet to catch my first yellowtail, when I do, I will want to think it is a big fish even if it is half the size of your 20 pounder.

So Congratulations on that big fish.
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #28
Whizz Bang

My first YT was huge....like 10lbs until Josh reset my calibration and it became like...4-6lbs

20lbs beats my best by a solid lb. and is beautiful to behold. Damn.

post script...I made the pic!!! If you look very closely at his right eye (picture left), you will see a tiny sand colored smudge off of Josh's bow.....that, kind sirs, is me!!! If it looks like I am fishless it's because I am.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 AM   #29
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.--Henry David Thoreau

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. --John Buchan

To some its more about the journey. Others the outcome. For some it is both.

It's no secret that you can catch YT's at that "spot", on big baits caught at that "pier"... and we all know Josh is the man when it comes to LJ. But for all those who don't have fat wallets....

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

The science of fishing can be had from books; the art is learned by the catching and losing of fish." --W. H. Blake - Brown Waters

"Most fishermen swiftly learn that it's a pretty good rule never to show a favorite spot to any fisherman you wouldn't trust with your wife" John Voelker

once again ed that yt... now go get your own and leave the spam for the next guy. Thanks for the report!

anybody know whhat these are and how to catch them???

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #30
Matt
Support your local pangas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post

anybody know whhat these are and how to catch them???

Sweeetttt is it crawdad season yet?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #31
LipYanker
Have rods, will travel!

Why is it that a post that has Josh helping someone catch fish brings out all this discontent? There are Guides all over the country that do the same thing he does. Turn on the outdoor channel and watch for a few hours.

I'll spend my time on more important things, like planning my next trip to LJ or figuring out how to catch lobster. Or how about this, researching MLPA so I can speak intelligently at the next public comment.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #32
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Good job Bob! I see you made it outta bed ontime!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
joyjiggin'

Congratulations!! If I caught that I'd be on cloud nine, too! Beautiful YT, good going.
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #34
Whizz Bang

Out of bed on time, but early enough to get a parking ticket...
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #35
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Parking ticket... hmm. That was on me. I just did not pay any attention to the signs. At O-dark O'Clock some of us are just not into calculating which Thursday of the month it might be.

I grew up in La Jolla. Back in the day you could go to the beach and park anywhere, anytime. You could even enjoy and adult beverage after a long day of whatever you chose to do at the beach. Of course we are much more civilized now. Somehow I just don't feel quite as free.

If the MLPA restrictions become law, I just might become a rebel.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #36
Whizz Bang

Another subliminal message:

LETS FISH SATURDAY!!!

I cant before then if you guys go before, best of luck to you, keep us posted.