Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
SMartin

NW Outward Bounds Fundraiser

I know this isn't general kayak discussion but thought you guys on the West Coast might be interested and might be able to help out.

I am helping to raise money to support this organization as it has helped tremendously in my recovery from PTSD. They offer free outdoor adventures for veterans but can only support them by donation. Please help me reach my goal of $2000 in order to help a veteran enjoy the outdoors. Here is a link to my donation page. All donations are tax deductible and donations made go directly to them not me. Please give what ever you can, every bit helps.

https://nwoutwardboundschool.network...ans-fundraiser
SMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
captnblood34

SMartin,

Welcome to the community!

Are you raising money for a specific Veteran or the organizations operation?

Are they a non profit?

I see they advertise sending "under privileged youth" and "low-income students" through their Pinnacle Scholarships awarded to High School students selected by school faculty staff, but couldn't find anything on Veterans or how they become a selectee.

How does a deserving Veterans find out about this organization to apply?

More information may benefit your fund!

I'm happy you found something that helped you out! It doesn't have to end there. Most board members know of a 100% nonprofit National organization known as Heroes on The Water. Many of us make up the SoCal Chapter. Many of us are active duty and veterans ourselves, and like to look after those that served. We take veterans out for a day of mentored kayak fishing, and provide a locally caught fish lunch donated by our board members.

If you would like more information on Heroes on The Water SoCal Chapter, whether its to attend or volunteer , don't hesitate to ask! Our 2016 Calendar event dates should be posted in the near future. We hope to see you there!

Best of luck in our endeavor and seasons greetings!

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
SMartin

They are an adventure school which anyone can go to but they also have scholarships for underprivileged youth and for veterans at no cost to the veteran. Veterans are aloud two trips. I have been on two, one to the Sierras for 6 days and one to San Juan Islands in Washington State. They are raising funds to help support the youth scholarships and veterans. Being a veteran, I am helping to raise funds toward the veteran scholarship. This is an awesome opportunity for any veteran and the donations are tax deductible. Thank you for the questions
Old 11-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #4
tacmik

So. Are they a for profit or a non profit organization?
Old 11-27-2015, 08:31 AM   #5
SMartin

They are a non profit, sorry
Old 11-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
SMartin

Any person can attend this school by paying for a course but there are certain courses that vets can attend free of charge including transportation to and from and use of all equipment. Same goes for underprivileged youth. You can look up Outward Bound on the internet and they happen to be all over the country. I just happened to use the NWOB because the things I wanted to do were in the NW. Once on their site, they can search for a course using a drop down box and search for veteran courses, see which ones are being offered, the dates and all information about the course and apply. Once they have your application, they will receive an email with certain documents that need to be filled out and then if they are chosen they will be notified. Unfortunately, there are only a few spots open per course depending on how many scholarships or donations they have.