Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
BigTunaL

FF question

Do guys have your FF dialed in a way where you can see your fly lined / dropped bait all the time and what depth it's at? What about when you reel it back in, do you also see it on FF?
And if so, what frequency is yours set at my options are 83, 200, and split screen 83/200

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTunaL View Post
Do guys have your FF dialed in a way where you can see your fly lined / dropped bait all the time and what depth it's at? What about when you reel it back in, do you also see it on FF?
And if so, what frequency is yours set at my options are 83, 200, and split screen 83/200

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the HDI 5? A buddy with the 3 or 4, one of my first trips out paddled up to me to try and figure the same thing out. When he dropped his yoyo next to me on his FF, you could see that thing clearly dropping right down the water column in live time, A thin Purple streaking line straight to the bottom; but what my FF was relaying was much slower and thicker, and looked as if it was floating slowly to the bottom..

On my HDI 5 i have the 50/200 and 83/200 option which allows for shallow water/deep water viewing, but I believe the issue is with the ping speed and the sensitivity, which I play with every time on the water to try and get that perfect picture so I'm def all ears as well.

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
driftwood

The simple answer is... have your chart speed at ultra speed on a wide view. It works on any FF to see your line on your screen.

When I'm fishing real shallow ( halibut fishing) I turn it back to normal speed.

Last edited by driftwood; 04-11-2016 at 10:01 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
BigTunaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
The simple answer is... have your chart speed at ultra speed on a wide view. It works on any FF to see your line on your screen.

When I'm fishing real shallow ( halibut fishing) I turn it back to normal speed.
so you're saying set ping speed to the fastest settings and use 83khz instead of 200 for wide cone.

I will test that next time. Thank you very much for the valuable info.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
BigTunaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
Do you have the HDI 5? A buddy with the 3 or 4,
Mine is Lowrance Mark 4 with chart plotter, not an HDI.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
driftwood

Exactly. Think of your ping like a radar. The faster it is the faster it's going to pick up UFO's or in your case the fishing line under water.

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
Deamon

It's very cool to see big fish show up on the screen but the transducer's cone is very narrow. My transducer is set to "see" things just ahead of my bow. If my bait/weight is fairly straight up and down, they show up on the screen.

I've shown this pic before. All of the horizontal lines are weights or baits. The angled lines are the quality fish. To see four fish in on the screen is unusual for me. I got bit immediately after this pic was taken. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.1 KB, 161 views)
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Last edited by Deamon; 04-12-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
dmrides

Jim, that picture is useless without coordinates.

dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Dirty Curti

Is your transducer mounted inside thee hull or outside?

I have the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI and it is mounted inside the hull. This is my experience...

After being on the water for a while I wasn't seeing the lure dropping. I could see everything else like bait and fish but the extra detail wasn't there. Then water started filling into the hull after several hours out there. All of a sudden I could here the pinging and started seeing the line dropping down. So I surmised that this transducer needs to be in the water.

I still have it mounted in the hull but now a mounted a Tupperware box around it and fill it with water before I head out and it works perfectly.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Deamon

I get pooped on this but...someone told said Josh did it like this, so if its good enough for him...

My transducer sits inside the front Hobie hatch, next to the sail post, loose. It sits up just right. I'm careful to not allow my stored stuff move it around but this is not an issue. All loaded and on the water, it also happens to be the low point in the yak too. After dropping in, I drop in a couple of handfuls of water and that moves to the transducer giving me a clear read. No good, no putty, no inserts.

Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
Deamon

I get pooped on this but...someone told said Josh did it like this, so if its good enough for him...

My transducer sits inside the front Hobie hatch, next to the sail post, loose. It sits up just right. I'm careful to not allow my stored stuff move it around but this is not an issue. All loaded and on the water, it also happens to be the low point in the yak too. After dropping in, I put in a couple of handfuls of water and that moves to the transducer giving me a clear read. No goop, no putty, no inserts.

Jim

Old 04-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post

My transducer sits inside the front Hobie hatch, next to the sail post, loose. It sits up just right. I'm careful to not allow my stored stuff move it around but this is not an issue. All loaded and on the water, it also happens to be the low point in the yak too. After dropping in, I put in a couple of handfuls of water and that moves to the transducer giving me a clear read. No goop, no putty, no inserts.

Jim
I've been doing it this way for years, works like a champ!

In the words of "Kelly" Johnson, K.I.S.S.!!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote