Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Harry Hill

I keep fishing but not catching

Got a very late start today heading to Shelter Island, on the way stopped to get gas and because their computers were acting up at the Chevron station they locked out my credit card, of course they didn't tell me, just said my card was declined, so I paid cash. Shelter Island ramp is closed but I had an alternate kayak ramp on some historic road which proved to be not so kayak friendly. So I asked Google drive to take me to Mission Bay and ended up on Fiesta Island. It didn't look to bad so we launched and got on the water about 10am just before the tide changed. I dragged a squid and cast swim baits all for nothing. At least it was only 78 on the water, the water temp was almost 73. Other than being buzzed by jet skis continuously it was nice on the water. My wife saw a giant orange jellyfish and I saw a floating wine bottle, other than that nothing. Called it quits at 1, I was burned out by the drive down and knew it wasn't going to be fun going home. We stopped at the In and Out in Menefee to find out my card was being blocked, it was 112. Ate lunch and hit the road to a major traffice jam, but a rain storm came in and lowered the temp to 77 for a couple of miles, then drove out of the storm and it went right back up to 110 but the traffic jam cleared and we fianlly made it home by 4:30, 3.5 hours to go 120 miles. Not a good report but they all can't be roses and lollipops.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
octico

Bad luck ....

At least you took the time to write a report, thank you.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report Harry. Day time tides suck this week. I'm seriously considering a 4am launch Friday morning, just to take advantage of the ok tide early on.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Thanks for the report Harry. Day time tides suck this week. I'm seriously considering a 4am launch Friday morning, just to take advantage of the ok tide early on.
Dove season opens on Friday, I will be shooting birds. We should have been on the water by 7 this morning, 6 would have been better. If I hadn't hooked the trailer up last night I probably would have waited a day. Nothing felt right today, I should have gone with that and stayed home. It's a good thing I love fishing because catching doesn't seem to be on table lately.I did get a better idea on working with my FF today. I could tell the sand bottom from the eel grass, I just couldn't find the halibut. I should have gone over to vacation island and hit the channel but the day was getting away from us. I didn't even know Fiesta Island existed until today.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
jbl_91762

This season I've been skunked often and it is very, very discouraging as last year when I got into this hobby I caught fish almost every outing. Now 6 times out so far and 1 good day of fish.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
This season I've been skunked often and it is very, very discouraging as last year when I got into this hobby I caught fish almost every outing. Now 6 times out so far and 1 good day of fish.
sounds like my season
Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

"I keep fishing but not catching"

This my friend is what we refer to as the "skunk"

Just putting your time in. That's why they call it fishing not catching.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
yemff

could have launched from the beach adjacent to the shelter island launch.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemff View Post
could have launched from the beach adjacent to the shelter island launch.
that was where I wanted to go but google drive put me on Fiesta Island so we decided to give it a try.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
TJones

The truth is painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post

X2
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post

I'm going to paint a white stripe down the middle of my boat
Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
King Saba

Harry, what set-ups do you use? Spinning, baitcasting? lb line? Mono/fluoro? Size hooks and weights? Lures? I've literally only skunked maybe a handful of times during my trips and they usually involve me deliberately heading out into unfavorable conditions.

For someone who puts so much time on the water a fish or a dozen should've fallen victim to your kayak already.

For reference I always manage to catch one the 3 harbor bass with 6lb mono, size 1 hook, plastic grub, and a 1/4-1/2oz dropshot. It never fails. Never.

Fishing structure such as jetties, pilings, kelp, and eel grass also plays a factor to a good fish catching day. Hope these tips help!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Harry, what set-ups do you use? Spinning, baitcasting? lb line? Mono/fluoro? Size hooks and weights? Lures? I've literally only skunked maybe a handful of times during my trips and they usually involve me deliberately heading out into unfavorable conditions.

For someone who puts so much time on the water a fish or a dozen should've fallen victim to your kayak already.

For reference I always manage to catch one the 3 harbor bass with 6lb mono, size 1 hook, plastic grub, and a 1/4-1/2oz dropshot. It never fails. Never.

Fishing structure such as jetties, pilings, kelp, and eel grass also plays a factor to a good fish catching day. Hope these tips help!
yea h, it's really weird. I'm fishing the same outfit I always fish. Shimano baitcaster, with 30 lb braid with a 10 lb flouro leader. Until this year I was never completely skunked, even if I was just catching bait on the sabiki. I have been kind of concentrating on getting a legal halibut so I have been bouncing bait more than casting but if I can get a good drift going I will bounce bait and cast a plastic swim bait or underspinner or chatterbait. I have not caught a fish in the bays this year. I knocked off on the bays for a couple of months while the stripers were biting and was catching stripers. I even tried a weightless fluke the other day which has been deadly on certain occasions when the fish got lockjaw, nothing.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
FullFlavorPike

Stay on target for the halibut and beat the skunk. Never say die!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
Stay on target for the halibut and beat the skunk. Never say die!
I never give up, I'm normally the first guy on the water and the last guy off. When my wife comes along I'm less intense.

I am going to get that first halibut this year, I'm just putting in my time so the fishing gods know I am worthy