Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
StinkyMatt

Rocky Point

Anyone know if there is access at Bluff Cove, Lunada Bay or Christmas Tree Cove?

Is Melaga Cove the closest launch to Rocky Point?

Thanks for the info.

Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

yes... i did a drive through all around palos verdes, the only other route are non paved small tiny and a loooooooonnnnnggggggg waaaaaaayyy down........ there also another way down through terrenea hotel, but the whole area is under MLPA and you have paddle the same distance to get to rocky pt.

lunada cove only has a 100ft drop no stairs.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 09-14-2012 at 03:49 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
bellcon

Matt there are more than a couple "trails" down the cliffs but you wouldn't want to haul your kayak down them let alone up them.

Bluff Cove has one that divers and surfers use all the time, but again a kayak even with an extremely light load would be very difficult.

Luanda Bay has goat trails, fine with only a surf board under your arm.

Malaga is your best shot towards Rocky Point especially if you plan on going for a dark launch.

Terranea does have the closure to the north but going south is a great trip and can be fishy
Old 09-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Take the fire road down to the water at Bluff Cove. I used to do it every weekend with my scrambler on my back... a few years back! At hightide, you have a distance of about 100 feet of small rocks to walk over until you get to the water. From there, you have to get past the reef break that's about 150 yards from the beach. Its a long slow break so on a small day 2-3ft you can surf it in.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

what are you planning?

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...91&inline=true

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Take the fire road down to the water at Bluff Cove. I used to do it every weekend with my scrambler on my back... a few years back! At hightide, you have a distance of about 100 feet of small rocks to walk over until you get to the water. From there, you have to get past the reef break that's about 150 yards from the beach. Its a long slow break so on a small day 2-3ft you can surf it in.
that works too, but i don't like scratching up my kayak in case i miss the rocks.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Badtaste2k

There is also Abalone Cove beach, I have never launched there, but other than the long walk it doesn't look to bad. Dirt road walk to a paved access road down to the beach. I walked it a couple times on my lunch from work. However, it is a little more south of Terranea, and you would still have to paddle through the MLPA zone. Rats is the way to go.

I've been trying to talk my wife into dropping me off at Rats and then leaving the car at Cabrillo. It's a long paddle but the curent and wind are usually in your favor the whole way south. That's a lot of Kelp to cover. That damn MLPA zone has to get in the way though

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
jorluivil

We'll just have Frank haul everyones equipment.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote