Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
PapaDave

Time for some Spring Cleaning...

Okay, my kind of spring cleaning anyway...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8584.jpg (81.9 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8589.jpg (70.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8607.jpg (67.8 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8612.jpg (55.4 KB, 313 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
PapaDave

All I have to do now is figure out how to clean my room...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
JeffB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
lol! I just finished tearing apart all of my reel and cleaning up a few days ago. I try and do it at least once every couple of months when I am fishing saltwater on a regular basis.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Cbad Mike

Quote:
DITTO!!!!!! LOL

Nice new avatar PapaDave
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
silentsmell

I consider myself pretty careful and patient, never taken a reel apart though. How challenging is it to clean/grease your own reels?
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
jorluivil

Both look pretty easy to work on, definitely takes some patients. I always work on top of a large white towel, this helps me find some of the tiny parts.

I took my Cardiff apart a few months ago.......it wasn't fun

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardiff.JPG (38.3 KB, 293 views)

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
TheBentRod

I don't have any problems maintaining Penn and Daiwa Saltwater reels. Anything else, I am always hesitant, but extremely careful. I have an Abu Garcia Promax that I stopped trying to get back together. I think I will try again today. It has only been 7 years.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
T-Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I always work on top of a large white towel, this helps me find some of the tiny parts.
Good advice. It cuts down on trips to the tackle store for parts.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
tomahawk

Papadave could you go over how you clean the parts once the reel is torn down and then what you lube with as it goes back together? I have cleaned Penn Jigmasters, Senators, GS (535), ABU Revo and 5600, a few diawas, and a few shimanos. That Cardiff looks like a PIA. I go back and forth on the re-assembly lubricants. The main issue i have had is I typically use a light machine oil and if I don't fish for a few months it gets googy usually on the spool shaft or pinion dis-engagement plate.
In the callcutta are you using the smaller size drag washer under the main gear? Does that give you more drag or just more adjustability?
Thanks,
Tom
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Papadave could you go over how you clean the parts once the reel is torn down and then what you lube with as it goes back together? I have cleaned Penn Jigmasters, Senators, GS (535), ABU Revo and 5600, a few diawas, and a few shimanos. That Cardiff looks like a PIA. I go back and forth on the re-assembly lubricants. The main issue i have had is I typically use a light machine oil and if I don't fish for a few months it gets googy usually on the spool shaft or pinion dis-engagement plate.
In the callcutta are you using the smaller size drag washer under the main gear? Does that give you more drag or just more adjustability?
Thanks,
Tom
Basically, once the parts are disassembled, I use WD40 to clean them. As I put them back together I will use reel grease on the gears and springs and a little 3in1 oil on the bearings. I do that because I like the feel of the reel without the grease slowing it down. I am using Carbontek drags for the calcutta 250, you need to buy the drags washers for a 700 though. You end up with an extra washer but those are the ones that fit. I guess you could try using both washers where the one would go, have not tried that yet. And yes, there is a smaller drag washer under the main gear, not sure what it add, but it is there.

The simplist reels I have to take apart and put back together are the old Sealines, 30H, 30SH, 40H and 20SLH. They are about 30 years old and still work very well. That 30H in the photo caught more albacore than many folks see in their lifetime. I used to go out every weekend during the season and usually got limits. Those were the days.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
tomahawk

Thanks. I have been basically doing the same thing except I haven't tried the 3in1 and have been coating the spings with oil. I am going to try 3in1 next time.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
dbarnett66
Danodog

Quote:
Basically, once the parts are disassembled, I use WD40 to clean them. As I put them back together I will use reel grease on the gears and springs and a little 3in1 oil on the bearings. I do that because I like the feel of the reel without the grease slowing it down. I am using Carbontek drags for the calcutta 250, you need to buy the drags washers for a 700 though. You end up with an extra washer but those are the ones that fit. I guess you could try using both washers where the one would go, have not tried that yet. And yes, there is a smaller drag washer under the main gear, not sure what it add, but it is there.

The simplist reels I have to take apart and put back together are the old Sealines, 30H, 30SH, 40H and 20SLH. They are about 30 years old and still work very well. That 30H in the photo caught more albacore than many folks see in their lifetime. I used to go out every weekend during the season and usually got limits. Those were the days.
I am rebuilding two Sealine 50H's right now and will build two 30H's when the 50's are done. When it is all said and done, I have about $90 invested in each reel. I know I am stupid crazy for doing this, but I have a love for these work horses. All the chrome is being replaced, decals and badges being replaced, both sets of bearings, and the drag washers are being upgraded to the Carbontex. The reels will be tough to beat once they are completed. You can monitor my progress on this thread. I bought four of these reels for $15 each and have about $75 in parts going back into these reels. I guess I could have bought new, but I caught so many fish on the 50H. It takes me back to my teenage days.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6171.0

Danodog

Last edited by dbarnett66; 02-02-2013 at 11:57 PM.
dbarnett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
fishing-kayak
Junior

Looks like you had fun cleaning it. I got short advice about your room: Don't clean it, you'll end up making it mess again and again.. Call it creative chaos
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing-kayak View Post
Looks like you had fun cleaning it. I got short advice about your room: Don't clean it, you'll end up making it mess again and again.. Call it creative chaos
I like to think I am conserving energy. Besides, it is a futile endeavor, it won't stay clean.