Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
from your story it sounds like you made the right decision from a kayak,,,,don't second guess
yeah didnt want to chance it maybe if i was on a a yak with marage drive where i can have both hand available but not trying to paddle that shit back lol
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #22
PapaDave

If I don't know what the species is, I take a photo, let it go and look it up. As far as the decision is concerned, that is your call and depends on what you are comfortable with.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
FreezeYak
Junior

Two most popular sharks in La Jolla are Makos and Threshers. Typically of the adolescent ages. On Satuday I also had a mako take a shot at a slow trolled mack, but he missed. My bait was going crazy so I looked back at the rod and water and about a four footer came 5 feet out of the air. Definitely a mako. I will attempt the threshers but don't like to play with the makos on the kayak.

My advice, and what I do, try to get as close to him as you feel safe and cut the line.
FreezeYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
taggermike

What would I do? I would try to get the shark close, but not too close, to the kayak and cut the line. I don't fish for sharks, eat them, or enjoy hooking/fighting them. Thats me. Sharks are amazing creatures but for me every second I spend fighting a shark is time wasted that I could be fishing for a target species. Rays too. Learn about the sharks that live in So Cal, about how to handle them safely, about which ones are good to eat and then make an informed decission about taking one. Keep safety in mind, leave the macho shit behind, and you'll be ahead of the game. Grey and white, tiny eyes, big body, short tail. It was maybe an angel shark?? I hooked a mako on Sunday in LJ and saw another so I know they are there but they are blue and white, have big black eyes, pointed noses, and way more teeth in thier mouths the seams possible. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #25
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
What would I do? I would try to get the shark close, but not too close, to the kayak and cut the line. I don't fish for sharks, eat them, or enjoy hooking/fighting them. Thats me. Sharks are amazing creatures but for me every second I spend fighting a shark is time wasted that I could be fishing for a target species. Rays too. Learn about the sharks that live in So Cal, about how to handle them safely, about which ones are good to eat and then make an informed decission about taking one. Keep safety in mind, leave the macho shit behind, and you'll be ahead of the game. Grey and white, tiny eyes, big body, short tail. It was maybe an angel shark?? I hooked a mako on Sunday in LJ and saw another so I know they are there but they are blue and white, have big black eyes, pointed noses, and way more teeth in thier mouths the seams possible. Mike
Yeah the fight was good but I agree not out there to play with sharks learn that shit in elementary lol
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Just out of curiosity I haven't read too many posts about release tools (have read some about hypo-vent needles).
I have a number of release tools, one for Large Flies (Salt/Fresh), one (ARC) 16" for mostly freshwater and an (ARC) 36" for saltwater just for scenarios just like this (and they work for Jigs!). I also use my Dremel to grind down the barbs 'a little' (on my jigs and have replaced single siwash hooks on most but not all of my jigs) to make releasing unwanted or protected (i.e. BSB, small ) and undersized fish easier.

FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegLegFury View Post
Well if your gaff is leashed down just gaff it and leave it in the agua. While it starts to fade bleed that guy out. A makos too good eatin. Though I wouldnt put it on my lap til its no doubt dead.
Then again my first decent sized shark in a kayaks gona be nerve rackin too. We'll see what I actually do under the circumstances
With all due respect, if you don't have the experience catching sharks from a Kayak, please refrain from giving advice on the subject that could result in injury for someone else. If that was a mako then JNasty did the right thing. You are assuming a mako will let ypu put a gaff in him them swim around all boo hoo poor me till he dies. He will attack your kayak and anything within reach including you.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote