Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
PapaDave

LJ 08-04

Launched at about 6:30 in about 1 foot waves. Water crystal clear, watched a bat ray and a school of small fish swim by at about 10 foot depth.

Made bait at the first marker, large dines, spanish macs and some green backs. I seemed to be the only one catching them though, I guess they liked the unibutter flavor.

Headed out to, ???, I wish I knew more about the area to say, straight out is the best description. Trolled/drifted around for a bit. Got picked up by dolphin of all things. That was a ride, pulled my PA at about 4msog until I could get my thumb out of the reel (was trying to pop the line, and yes, that hurt) and cut the line.

Got bored, played around in the shallower kelp for nada. Water was so clear I could count the Garibaldis.

Buddy got hooked up, went to help, he landed a 4-5 foot Soupfin shark. After getting back to the spot, depth about 60ft just inside the markers. I dropped a large spanish down and was immediatly hooked on the a freight train. It's destination was the nearby kelp forest. Alll aboard...

Fought that pup for about 40 minutes, everytime I broke free of one kelp bush I would find out it was in the next one. The kelp finally got tired of getting trimmed and broke the 65lb braid.

Word of note, and I am not a salesman, but have noticed some jokes, I was using those knotless hooks, they held up very well under the pressure and there was no knot to be a weak point, the 40lb flourocarbon did not break on either hookup...

Came back in all broken hearted, but optimistic as this was the first time I have hooked anything at LJ. Waves still at 1 foot or less, been awhile since I have come in without taking a dip. Beautiful day on the water out there.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Thanks for the report. Putting in the time will reward you soon.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
bigbarrels

sounds like a interesting day on the water