Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
rdahl

Had an aggressive one try to board me last weekend. It came up a foot from the yak, raised itself up to look to see if I had anything to eat, then he came up to the bow and tried to get on. First I slapped the water hard with the paddle, nothing-no fear from this dog, then poked him away. He came back again and I had to smack him. Then I paddled away like a scared puss until he left me alone. Sounds like a school bully story. Seems they are getting a little more bold each year. Damn beasts.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdahl View Post
Had an aggressive one try to board me last weekend. It came up a foot from the yak, raised itself up to look to see if I had anything to eat, then he came up to the bow and tried to get on.
You should have brought a paintball gun...
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
JrBasser

nice. I had a fatty furball swim right into my line that day, nice clicker run :-)

I was the kind who talked to you on the beach when you were bagging macs.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
Afran
fishy

Knothead is a fucking asshole.

He picked me on Friday. Ran the flyliner, bit the body, left the head (standard). I started heading in and he was on the chase. Bottom bait goes screaming, Knothead comes up with my mac.

Basically he followed me in from the outside corner to past the inside of the hotel. He was way to comfortable, tracking me the whole way. Cruising under the yak, cruising next to me with his head out of the water. Ponded him off on a group of guys and went in.

I don't like him.
He should die.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afran View Post
Knothead is a fucking asshole.

I don't like him.
He should die.
I share those sentiments. That thing has crossed the line from a nuisance to a danger. They relocate bears that develop a taste for household trash. This guys fate should be the same. I'd say relocate him to Guadaloupe Island, he'll be very content.

I'm thinking about getting a slingshot but I'm not completely sure it would do anything other than piss him off. Might try from a boat, not sure from the yak.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

I'm thinking about getting a slingshot but I'm not completely sure it would do anything other than piss him off. Might try from a boat, not sure from the yak.
I would think that any "less than lethal" option poses a risk of pissing him off, rather than driving him away. There just aren't many options on a kayak if they decide to go after you. I don't think I'd want to risk using a sling shot. Unless you hit them on the jaw or in an eye it probably won't hurt them that much and those are the areas that you aren't supposed to injure. I think that the best deterrent would be pepper spray. Injuring a sea lion might prompt it to attack. Pepper spray would cause irritation and interfere with its breathing. It would then be less likely to come after you (disclaimer: not a marine mammal behavior expert....just a gut feeling). I bet it would only take getting sprayed once or twice and a sea lion would start avoiding kayaks. There would also be less chance of negative publicity; no noise, no lasting injury, nobody getting shot accidentally with a sling shot.
I think I'm going to go buy some OC spray. If Knothead mauls me on Saturday, disregard everything that I posted here
Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
umoa
Junior

i was wondering, if someone does get mauled (imo just a matter of time), would we have the same response as a cougar mauling? go out and kill the bastard? or would it be like a shark attack where it would be "you were in it's territory sucks to be you"?
umoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
I think I'm going to go buy some OC spray. If Knothead mauls me on Saturday, disregard everything that I posted here
Dgax,

Just remember the wind! You wouldnt want that blowing back in your face and be out of commision on the water! You would have to get pretty close for it to be effective, especially with the watered down store versions.

You are also a pretty crafty guy...maybe a paddle with an OC Spray canister incorporated in the handle near the blade, with a push button trigger?

BT
BTW - my first post on here....I just noticed that. Been reading for a while.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post

I'll be sure to bring mine on saturday
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote