Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that bananas are bad on a boat?
yes 17 35.42%
no 31 64.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Banana Superstitions

On Saturday i was fishing and a boat pulls off and starts yelling. BANANA!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! I CAN"T BELIEVE YOUR EATING A Banana !!!!

he radioed all his friends and told him there is a fishing terrorist on the water.

Well, what can i say.... people don't believe in God but they believe on unlucky bananas.

I thought that guy was going to kill me, ANDY!!!! (Iceman) WHY DIDN"T YOU Tell me about this bananas, DO YOU KNOW how many bananas i have put inside Stinkmatt kayak and he still out fishes me.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
momo fish

was that you at county line saturday in a x-factor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
On Saturday i was fishing and a boat pulls off and starts yelling. BANANA!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! I CAN"T BELIEVE YOUR EATING A Banana !!!!

he radioed all his friends and told him there is a fishing terrorist on the water.

Well, what can i say.... people don't believe in God but they believe on unlucky bananas.

I thought that guy was going to kill me, ANDY!!!! (Iceman) WHY DIDN"T YOU Tell me about this bananas, DO YOU KNOW how many bananas i have put inside Stinkmatt kayak and he still out fishes me.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Raskal311

Been there done that a few years ago I was on an over night trip on a buddies boat and pulled out some bananas to share and well you know the rest.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
YakMedic

Your a Fishing Terrorist!!

I was laughing hard when he told you that over a banana.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
was that you at county line saturday in a x-factor??

that was me@

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
MrM

"Fishing Terrorist..." Haha. I'll have to remember that.

Put me down for the superstitious type. I've had my fair share of dumb things happen (on and off the water) for reasons that I can't explain. I might take it too far, though. For example, I've always written "Suerte" on my hockey sticks before their first use. (don't ask) I didn't do it one season, & had a terrible streak until I realized my mistake 5 games later. Game 6 I had a Gordie Howe hat trick.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
Dannowar

I won't even eat a banana lollipop 24 hours before I fish
Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
easyday

Its like us in the Marines on our AAV's wont eat apricots on them.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

I just rather not risk it.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
TJones

it's no secret about the unlucky banana superstition

but you nailed it . they don't believe in God , but they believe in some superstitious idea . anyone care to google to try and find out the reason behind all the madness ? i learned about the banana superstition like most , by bringing one on board a charter . i do have one experience to share on the kayak . prior to my trip , i swallowed one down . sadly the only, " right kind "i hooked while at LJ came unbuttoned . the first thing that came to mind was the frigging banana . to each his own . better to keep the fruit on the low side , then be branded a terrorist . . hopefully today is the day i get this monkey off my back , and finally land a LJ yellow . wish me love . i will not post results till the end of summer , if successful . :
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
but you nailed it . they don't believe in God , but they believe in some superstitious idea . anyone care to google to try and find out the reason behind all the madness ? i learned about the banana superstition like most , by bringing one on board a charter . i do have one experience to share on the kayak . prior to my trip , i swallowed one down . sadly the only, " right kind "i hooked while at LJ came unbuttoned . the first thing that came to mind was the frigging banana . to each his own . better to keep the fruit on the low side , then be branded a terrorist . . hopefully today is the day i get this monkey off my back , and finally land a LJ yellow . wish me love . i will not post results till the end of summer , if successful . :
My understanding was that it had to do with it going bad the soonest on a sea voyage and having larvae that would eat through a wooden ship's hull.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

I never bring em on a boat, but almost always bring one on the yak
Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
tacklebox
I got gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I have heard from other fisherman through the years that the reason bananas are bad luck on boats is because back in the day when they shipped bananas they would have bananna spiders, or Brazilian wandering spider which lives inbetween the fruit bunches, in the cargo. The spider would bite someone and since they had no medicine on board for the poision the person would die.
If you just have one banana you should be fine but just dont take a bushel of bananas with you without checking for this guy.

HOLY FUGGIN ISHHTTT ----- FUG THISSS!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwruG6TSrAQ

This is the guy Im talking about

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
danjor

Last time I took my dad fishing we took a overnight trip out of San Diego, for the previous 2 weeks was good weather and limits of tuna, the day we went he took a banana and there was crazy high seas and only a couple tuna caught, one of which was mine and he caught nothing, the next day the boat limits again when were not on it.... One of the lobster trips this year when I took me cousin out he took a banana not knowing better and all he pulled up the whole night was a f'in huge pissed off eel that was tangled in the net.... I don't believe in superstitions but that's pretty fishy to me so no bananas on my boat trips or yaks lol
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Siebler

When working on sportfishers Ive watched Ron Baker take many bananas and hurl them over the side of the boat without the customer knowing what was even going on.

Lots of things can happen on the ocean so I am going to play it safe and chuck banannas with Capt Ron. He even had a No Banannas sign made and hung on the Point Loma.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
When working on sportfishers Ive watched Ron Baker take many bananas and hurl them over the side of the boat without the customer knowing what was even going on.

Lots of things can happen on the ocean so I am going to play it safe and chuck banannas with Capt Ron. He even had a No Banannas sign made and hung on the Point Loma.
I've heard that he would come grab it right out of the hands of the person with the Banana. The customer's eyes are all, "What the Heck?" Ron did not take any chances with that stuff.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I've heard that he would come grab it right out of the hands of the person with the Banana. The customer's eyes are all, "What the Heck?" Ron did not take any chances with that stuff.

Yep be will rip it out of your hands. Ron is a funny old man doesnt care what people think. Thats why we had him do our wedding, knew it would be unique!

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #19
Mahigeer

What I have read is that back in the pirate days, the pirate ships could trace and attack the passenger ships which have thrown out banana peels.
>>
>>
The current would carry the banana peels and the peels would act as bread crumbs leading the pirates to the civilian ships.>>
>>
The bug theory makes sense too.>>
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
HOLY FUGGIN ISHHTTT.....
This is actually right on. It's a old maritime thing. Before refrigeration boats traveling used to stop at various ports along the way and take on provisions.

Bananas were considered bad luck, and not suitable as provisions in many areas.

Wandering spiders from south and central America are the most venomous spiders in the world. They have no webs, they are hunters. They hide in dark places during the day, then come out at night to feed. One place they like to hide is in bunches of bananas, so often when people would bring bananas on board in tropical areas they would end up with Wandering spiders on their boats.

Their bites cause pain dementia respiratory paralysis and death.

Know why Sport boats are called "Cattle Boats"?

Back in the day before railroads and cattle drives, cattle were shipped by boat to big cities on the coast. Working a cattle boat was the worst duty a sailor could ask for do to the crap, puke, injured animals, etc....

Fishing boats that took out non-sailors and amature fisherman were seen as no better then cattle boat duty, because no real sailor wanted to babysit a bunch of landlubbers all day.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote