Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
steveooo

Dana Point Quickie & Variety Pack

Fished Dana for a quick AM session today. Didn’t really have a game plan or a target species. Mostly a recon mission and an excuse for some time OTW.

Launched at 6:45 ish, and picked up a nice scoop of perfect 6” sardines @ the barge.

Headed shallow to Doho first. Santa Ana’s were blowing, the water had turned, and there was lots of debris. I took the hint and let the wind blow me out a little deeper.

I turned the corner and checked out a few stones in 60- 75ft and was glad that fish wanted to play. First 5 baits were hit as soon as they got near the bottom. 5 fish in 10 minutes was enough to make me stay in the general vicinity. Nothing big, but still lots of fun with the variety pack.

Calico (1st of 3 that I caught)

Little Ling (1 of 3)

Sculpin (1 of 2)

Ittly bitty RF that had a big appetite

Sandy (The small one of the 2)

Treefish

Everything released. All but a couple fish were on the trap hook. Lost 2 nice heavy hangar fish on the bottom. Probably sharks

The inshore surface action has picked up too, as lots of the used baits that I released were crushed on the surface by calicos.

After fishing the bottom for a while I got distracted and chased some birds & bait balls that were just outside. Worked them for a while, but nobody home on them yet. Probably best I didn't find anything, as I was undergunned with the tackle I had brought anyways. 62.5 degree water on the outside, 64.5 on the inside if anybody cares.

Lots of whales, boardshort weather, summertime type action on the paddle boards, and a few fish . No complaints here.

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote