Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
sasha

Stealth 14 Q

Ok I got my kayak at the big blem sale. Took it to the pool to play with it got some water in there whill practicing rolling and getting back inside. So the next day i left it outside to dry out with the rear hatch open. In the evening i tried to close it and it wont close no matter what i did. Called OEX and they said no sweat bring it in and they would check it out. two days later i tried it again before i drive the 70miles or so each way. Now all of sudden it closes. Not smooth and needed to put some pressure but it did close. All other hatches close realy nice and smooth. I can see some sandpaper and some small wheel grinding marks. Is this normal?? I would hate to drive all the way down there for something minor that shouldnt take more then 5 min to take care of. Im very good with my hands and got plenty of tools. I know if i grind down a little around the hatch it would close better. Main consorn is leaks. I heard some people complain about the rear hatch leak and would hate that to happen out in the ocean. First kayak and would like to do it right in the long run. Hope no one minds me asking all those Qs just dont know anything about kayaks. This is my first one and i would like to keep it and use it for many years to come. love the feel of stealth and planning on going in the ocean this week.

Sasha

Last edited by sasha; 09-26-2010 at 01:56 PM.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Im very good with my hands and got plenty of tools. I know if i grind down a little around the hatch it would close better. Main consorn is leaks.
Sasha
The first thing that comes to mind is voiding the warranty when you take some matters into your own hands.... Start grinding away and it ends up cracking/etc.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
FARRIER

Often times i need to apply pressure to my hatch on my revo to get it to close and seal properly. As you turn the locks try adding pressure. If thats not the case I don't know if sanding will help. Can you post a picture?
Old 09-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
sasha

Regor thats what were worried about as well. I guess i should wait for Andy to maybe answer...

Farrier Now it does close with alittle pressure but a few days before it didnt close no matter what i did. Even asked my dad for help to put some pressure on two points and me on the third while trying to close it. Its hard to show anything in the pic its more of a feel when you close the hatch. Maybe i make an ant into an elephant......
Old 09-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
tony

Had that happen to me with a new X-Factor. Felt like I was going to bust the handles trying to close it. So I opened and closed it about 30 times in a row and then no problems.....The Locking pin/pins have to get used to the hole/holes.....
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Lets_Fish

If I remember correctly, Andy said that they are covered under warranty (limited time). I would take it to OEX and have them look it over (great staff and will work with you). It may be that the original hole cut is small in one area (placing pressure) and may need a little cutting or something else. Have them look the complete yak over with you and fix anything that needs fixing now before you take it out on the open sea. Check your scupper holes also for any leaks.

I purchased a X-13 at the 1st sale and had pin holes in the scuppers and fixed them before going out in the open water. Also the rivets in the rear hatch leaked and I have fixed that problem also. Unlike your purchase with a warranty, mine did not come with one (sold as is). No biggie to me as these items I was able to correct.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
sasha

Thanks tony i might try that as well.
Let_fish Yes there is a 90 days warranty against leaks. At list it was posted. When i called and told them it was a Blem they said no problem just bring it in. Its just a very long drive back to the place they had the sale and i was wondering if its something real easy to fix on my own. But i guess i better do it once and for all and not worry about it again.

sasha
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Ok I got my kayak at the big blem sale. Took it to the pool to play with it got some water in there whill practicing rolling and getting back inside. So the next day i left it outside to dry out with the rear hatch open. In the evening i tried to close it and it wont close no matter what i did. Called OEX and they said no sweat bring it in and they would check it out. two days later i tried it again before i drive the 70miles or so each way. Now all of sudden it closes. Not smooth and needed to put some pressure but it did close. All other hatches close realy nice and smooth. I can see some sandpaper and some small wheel grinding marks. Is this normal?? I would hate to drive all the way down there for something minor that shouldnt take more then 5 min to take care of. Im very good with my hands and got plenty of tools. I know if i grind down a little around the hatch it would close better. Main consorn is leaks. I heard some people complain about the rear hatch leak and would hate that to happen out in the ocean. First kayak and would like to do it right in the long run. Hope no one minds me asking all those Qs just dont know anything about kayaks. This is my first one and i would like to keep it and use it for many years to come. love the feel of stealth and planning on going in the ocean this week.

Sasha
Sasha,

I have had some of the hinged hatches sticky to close, but yours was the first I had heard of not closing at all. Especially after closing originally with no problem. Let me see if Malibu has a remedy to recommend. Sanding down the inner edge will have no effect on the seal and may save you a drive. These hinged hatches may need to remain closed in storage. Just pop the bow hatch to air it out.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
sasha

Thanks IceMan i shall try to sand it down ever so lightly. Just enough to take off most of the wheel marks. Maybe if i smooth it out that would solve all the problems. So instead of driving down south i can hit the ocean
Old 09-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
jbm

Did you leave it in the sun before it wouldn't close? It could be the heat caused the plastic to expand and distorted the hatch frame. I would observe whether the temp of the kayak affects the hatch operation.
jbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
mrJB

Sasha -

Unfortunately, factory seconds are just that, and may come with one or more defects, ranging from cosmetic to who-knows-what.

If you are good with your hands I would recommend giving it a shot yourself for anything short of plastic welding. Even then, I've had kayaks back to the dealer AND to the factory and they still didn't do a weld much better than I.

Beware of anyone who says they will fix cracks, etc. with "hot glue" or "goop". It's your butt out there two miles in the ocean.

I'm willing to bet that your current problem is from too tight a hatch installation and that you can take a sixteenth off the hatch just a well as anyone, better than most.

My $.02. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it's all part of the learning process for almost any yaker...
Old 09-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
Mad Daddy
Father of two

I have a stealth 12 so no rear hatch but I do have problems with the side hatches. It seems that the inner bags if not pushed all of the way down onto the tabs stick up just enough to keep the hatch from latching. It is very annoying since everytime I need to get something out it pulls the bag up and I have to re-seat the bag again. The up side is having such easy access storage on both side is great. I read the description and saw that the 14 has a bag in the rear hatch as well and that could be your problem.
Mad Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
sasha

Jbm It was sitting in the sun but when i tried to close it. Was after it set in the shade for a while.
MrJb I do think the hatch is too tight as i mentioned before there are marks that someone was using a dremel type tool to remove some plastic to fit the hatch. There is a 90 day warranty for leaks and i heard nothing but good things about Andy just wanted to make sure its right before the warrenty is up and its a LONG drive from chatsworth. I also know i can make a much smoother surface on the hatch..
Mad Daddy i took that bag as soon as i had the problem thinking it was sticking..
I would try Andy advice and see if i can clean up and smooth up the cover, if it would not help then i would drive down there..
hope to hit the ocean on thursday.

Sasha