Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Erion929
Junior

Just got my first yak, need some help

So I just got my first Kayak, and I need help setting it up.

I have been fishing for a while, mostly surf fishing for halibut/perch. All on artificial lures. I have my license, and a couple setups , which I'm not sure are right for the kayak, but I'll make do for now.

Here is a picture of the kayak, I bought it on craigslist last night, I have been slowly looking for a few months, until the right deal popped up. This is how it came.

I am on a bit of a budget, and am looking for basics to get me onto the water. I have waders, wetsuit, rod/reels, license.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Erion929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
tacklebox
I got gas!

I know you are on a budged but some of these things you should have while out there. A paddle , vhf, small compass, fish finder, bait tube or bait bucket, regs require a landing net, might want a gaff, you also need a pfd required by regs (dont have to wear it just have it onboard but I suggest wearing it), pliers, a good knife, rod leashes, some kind of signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc), fish grippers and a red flag for the back of the kayak if its sticking out the back of your vehicle more than 3 feet.
Just something to think about. Good luck out there! I have a tarpon 140 and I love it. I think you will like the 120.
Also check out the diy innovations thread on here. Might help you out.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
beef78
Large Member

If you are going to start out in the bay going for spotted/barred bass, you don't need a lot. The basics will do, the little plastic tackle organizers, a glove for fish with rough mouths or a fish grabber, some kind of stringer if you are going to keep them, a map that shows depths and structure, fish finder is extremely helpful, but not completely necessary and a pair of pliers with a wire cutter and a knife.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Erion929
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
I know you are on a budged but some of these things you should have while out there. A paddle , vhf, small compass, fish finder, bait tube or bait bucket, regs require a landing net, might want a gaff, you also need a pfd required by regs (dont have to wear it just have it onboard but I suggest wearing it), pliers, a good knife, rod leashes, some kind of signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc), fish grippers and a red flag for the back of the kayak if its sticking out the back of your vehicle more than 3 feet.
Just something to think about. Good luck out there! I have a tarpon 140 and I love it. I think you will like the 120.
Also check out the diy innovations thread on here. Might help you out.
Haha a paddle sounds like a good idea!! I know I also need a PDF. I have a lot of the other gear: pliers, lip-grippers, knife etc.

I need to do my research on bait buckets, and decide if i want electric of manual. Also need to look at alternative leashes for everything.

I'll try the innovations thread thanks!!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
JeffB

You should pick up a milk crate and put some 12"-18" pieces of PVC pipe in the corners and maybe one on each side centered. It's a perfect way to transport your rods and tackle in the bays. I don't use much live bait, so it's nice and makes convenient access to all your tackle.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
PE.rider

Definitely cover the basics of safety devices first... then the gear that will make fishing life easier...
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
captnblood34

Score 1 for the paddlers!!! I have the same yak in Mango and I bought it in the same shape, love it. They basically hit all the gear you need. Start out with a pole, your necessary tackle and lunch in a back pack, and go from there. You will find out FAST what you are lacking when your out on the water and its not within arms reach of you. Where are you located?
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Erion929
Junior

Thanks everyone for the help, I plan on starting small and moving my way up.

I currently live close to Pasadena, but am planning on moving around end of may/june.

I am going to finish paying off my motorcycle in the next 2 months, which will let me buy a new truck, that I have had my eye on. I don't have a lot of free time right now, but hopefully my schedule will free up more after the move. In the mean time I'll start buying the gear I need slowly.

Thanks again everyone for the help.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
taggermike

It sounds like you have most of what you need to start fishing gear wise. Kayak gear wise, Get a quality paddle to start with. An cheap aluminum with plastic blades and a better quality carbon fiber will feel similar in the shop but after hours of paddling the difference will be huge. A good comfortable PFD will help you as well. If its not comfy youre less likely to wear it, and then whats the point of having it? A milk crate with some PVC rod holders and a few plano boxes and youre good for inshore and bay fishing. Get comfortable on shorter trips and move up from there. As you gain experience and extend your comfort zone you will find out what you need. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote