Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Irishman

Size of paddle

I have a Malibu xfactor and using a 230cm Werner paddle that I bought with the yak at OEX. I noticed that while paddling I am inadvertently soaking myself. Two days in a row where I have been soaked and cold. It might have to do with the wind we have had this weekend, not sure. Yesterday was Shelter Isalnd, today Glorietta bay and under Corondo bridge. Will a longer paddle mean less water coming on board??

Appreciate the feedback
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
JeffB

You need to put drip rings at each end of it. They keep the water from running down the paddle handle all over you legs. Here is what I'm talking about.

http://www.paddlerscove.com/kayak-pa...-branches.aspx
Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
tacklebox
I got gas!

Yea, I have the drip rings too and they help. You still get a little wet, at least I do, on your knees/legs.
Maybe scotch gard your pants so the water beads off? I was thinking of doing that.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
taggermike

Some water will always end up in your lap, but a longer paddle can help. A longer paddle will allow you to use a lower angle paddleing stroke. Lower angle=less water running down the shaft. Mike.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Irishman

Thanks guys, I have the drip rings, will see if I can get some larger ones than what came with the paddle
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
PE.rider

Most paddles have drip rings on both ends, and each paddler has their own preference as to where placement is ideal to avoid water drip. Some, like it at the edges by the throat of the paddle, and others right by their hand grip areas.

For myself, I've always positioned them several inches up ... or closer up the shaft as you move inwards, but never more than 5 inches. Depending on your kayak width, you can make your adjustments, but the most important thing to consider is to not paddle too deeply.

If you getting winded paddling, then chances are you are sinking the paddle too deeply into the water. As long as you immerse the paddle from tip to throat and maintain a rhythm and stride, you will be moving across the water in a decent pace.

If this works for you, then you can thank my summer camp counselor from the Catskills when I was a wee laddie.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote