Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
carbonbass

Running into the taxman, what do you do?

Well,
I cant say I have been fortunate enough to come across a large GWS while on the yak yet. But I know like riding a motorcycle, if I keep kayaking, some day I may run into the one. I know we all talk about the fear of the taxman, but does anyone really know what your supposed to do when you do run into one? Are you supposed to speed off as fast as you can or will the shark sense fear and investigate more? Share your knowledge if you have personally run into one on your yak and what you did.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
captnblood34

[QUOTE=carbonbass;155843]Well,
I cant say I have been fortunate enough to come across a large GWS while on the yak yet.

Lost me at your first sentence..... But when the king of the Sea comes around I believe your preservation of life instincts come out....what those are? You'll find out when it happens. I predict that I would remain stationary and look as un-tasty as possible!
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
dorado50

Pay Up...its up to him/her how much to collect
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

Keep your feet in the boat, stay as calm as you can, and as Dorado50 stated, if the shark is going to attack, there isn't much you can do.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Ggiannig89

Don't really know whta I would do. Probably be freaked out and intrigued at the same time. And hopefully I would grab my knife and be prepared if he wanted to scuffle with me.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I take the attitude of a sea lion. It's the ones I see that I feel good about. They tend to attack from the depths. It's like "You never hear the shot that kills you". If you read the first had reports of shark attacks, you never hear that they saw the shark hanging around the area and suddenly they were attacked. It's always a surprise.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Baja_Traveler

I'll be scrambling to get my GoPro in action and in the water! As a dive master on multi day trips I've seen my share of sharks, but never had a cool camera like I have now. If you see a shark swimming around take advantage and get a good look - it's just being curious also.

The shark you don't see is the one you have to worry about! Thats how they hunt...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
bellcon

Don't be so paranoid they're just gentle giants...

Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Don't be so paranoid they're just gentle giants...

How irresponsible of her, hot chicks are an endangered species
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
ftufc
Junior

Being brand new to Kayaking, I have wondered about this a lot; I even purchased a muted color boat instead of yum yum yellow. I also intended to keep a 6' pole spear onboard in hopes of deterring any creature that was too nosey,,, that is, if I saw him first. Does anyone else carry a pole spear or bangstick while kayak fishing?

Last edited by ftufc; 05-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.
ftufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
TJones

slow the pulse of your heart beat

kinda like a frog when he goes into hibernation . like you said if you panic , the shark can sense that . or you can pull the mirage drive from bay , and crap right then .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Dannowar

probably take a picture
Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
HELLSTER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Don't be so paranoid they're just gentle giants
I think im in love, she rocks!
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
GWS are gentle when they have a full stomach....if hungry they are the opposite...Keep your blood slick to a minimum - I think a 6' bang stick is good insurance - if somebody has found a good one pm me - they use them in florida for gators...otherwise sit still and pray....it worked for Gabe...I do not think you can paddle or peddle fast enough
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
danjor

2 summers ago while in Monterey visiting my relatives who also kayak up there during the 3 days I went kayaking we had 5 Tax man sightings. First one was from the freeway looking at the beach you could clearly see a freking huge great white in the waves, second thru forth sighting were while we were kayaking out of moss landing... When you see a great white it is more of a surreal feeling, at first I couldn't believe my eyes and than I just stayed still and just watched it, I know that I could not panic or it could turn bad.
Anyways saw 3 of them that day, first one I thought was a whale jumping to say hi except after 30 minutes or so we realized it never came back up, next one I was hung up on the bottom trying to break free and it swam by.... and last one was eyeballing the seals in the surf while we were he adding in. The next day we went out by cannery row and saw another one. To be honest I was never scared I was more shocked to see a fish that big, doesn't look real...

My take on it is if it wants to eat you there really isn't much you can do so if it is your time its your time, your still more likely to get struck by lightning while kayaking
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
GWS are gentle when they have a full stomach....if hungry they are the opposite...Keep your blood slick to a minimum - I think a 6' bang stick is good insurance - if somebody has found a good one pm me - they use them in florida for gators...otherwise sit still and pray....it worked for Gabe...I do not think you can paddle or peddle fast enough
I have to admit, that day changed the way I think in terms of kayaking alone late in afternoon with a bloody Yellowtail in the back of my kayak. That shark was almost as big as my kayak. As soon as a saw him I stopped moving and sat nervously still.

The GW circled me a few time and cruised under me and disappeared. May thru July is when see a lot big sharks in La Jolla.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
maui jim

Your more likely to hit by a bus or lighting.....It's Jeorge's girl Candy that frightens me the most...
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
tacmik

I use one of those shark repellents....Glued a picture of my mother-in-law to the bottom of my yak.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
I use one of those shark repellents....Glued a picture of my mother-in-law to the bottom of my yak.

TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
T Bone

sack up and throw out a bait...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote