Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Another Lesson Learned

I went out at LJ today for the first time in a long time. The day looked promising when I got on the road for a planned 10:00 launch. As I crested the bluff and headed down the hill to the beach, I noticed a couple of things. The surf was non-existent, always a good thing when launching a kayak. The other thing I noticed was the dark gray marine layer, hundreds of feet thick, sitting a few miles off shore.

I got to the launch, rigged up and headed out into the tea-colored water. I was all by myself. As I headed out, I ran across another yakfisher coming in, (I will call him Mr. X), who had a nice fish strapped to the back of his kayak. Hopefully Mr. X will tell his story one of these days.

About the time I reached the reserve buoys, the marine layer had engulfed me. It was really thick and getting thicker. After about fifteen minutes heading, (hopefully), west, I realized that I had no idea where I was or what direction I was going. The only clue was the occasional bark of a sea lion and the crashing of the waves at some beach, (Boomers?).

The marine layer was so thick and dense that I could not even see the sun and use it as a navigational marker. I have been fishing in fog before but never as dense as this. After a while, it became clear to me that if I could not figure out where I was or what direction I was headed, I could be in some serious trouble.

The good news is that I have an iPhone that I always carry with me while out fishing. The better news is that this phone has a bunch of tools that helped to save my bacon today.

The phone, (along with most smart phones), has a standard compass app. This is great but if you have no idea where you are, just going east to try to get home could have some unforeseen consequences. I could have landed at Boomers and been smacked by a a six foot breaker.

I have a couple other apps on my phone which came in very handy today. Most of these apps use GPS coordinates to plot the phone's position at any given time. The savior today was Navionics. This app showed where I was on a nautical map and also showed what direction I was headed.

To my great surprise, I found that even though I had been peddling West, (supposedly) for almost an hour against a strong wind, I had not made much progress. I was barely past the reserve buoys and had been heading mostly north.

With the help of the iPhone technology, I was able to get myself pointed in the right direction. By noon, the fog had lifted and I was able to get a full day of fishing in. For those who may be interested, there was no catching associated with this day of fishing.

The main point of this post is that even for those of us who have spent quite a bit of time on the water, Mom Nature can sometimes dish out some unexpected and dangerous conditions. Smart Phones are great tool that can help yakfishers cope with with problems on the water.

My recommendation is that you have a smart phone, load it up with the appropriate safety and navigation apps and bring it with you. If you do not have a smart phone, you should seriously consider getting one.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote