Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
wade

wasted mako...

what a waste...

http://www.cbs8.com/global/story.asp?s=11873378
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Siebler

Would you eat a shark that washed up on shore during a storm?

I wouldnt

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

what about bluefin tuna?!?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Siebler

The Bluefin I would probably eat. Most those fish had visual indicators that they came from the pins (Net burn). Those fish are fed so much so quickly its no wonder they couldnt swim against the strong currents and swell.

Plus they were found with some dead and some alive.

There's just something that tells me a wild 8' mako in good health should be able to keep its self from washing ashore. I think that shark may have died due to other reasons and I am not one to find out by consuming it.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
T Bone

You are not supposed to eat an animal "found" dead.Its actually biblical whether you chose to believe it or not it just makes sense,

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post

I wouldnt

nope, i wouldnt eat any shark..i'm trying to honor our little agreement we got goin' on..
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post

I wouldnt
Me neither...I want him snipping at me before I eat him.

I'd wanna be the justifier...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Gino

The guy just claimed to have found it... he could have lied to DFG Like the guy who wasted that Black Sea Bass for a taste of local shame and a picture.

Last edited by Gino; 01-25-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
The guy just claimed to have found it... he could have lied to DFG Like the guy who wasted that Black Sea Bass for a taste of local shame and a picture.

There in lies the rub.

Mako's have no swim bladder so they sink when they die. That mako was most likely caught, brought to the dock and then cut up, or it beached itself while alive.

His story makes no sense. Why would you pick up a dead 500 pound shark off the beach take it to a dock in the marina, and then cut it's head off, and then leave it to rot?

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 01-26-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Podaker

this was in the paper this morning. kusi news interviewed a guy on thursday with a red truck who had a mako in the back claiming he caught it 2 miles out. thursday was the biggest of the storms last week i wanted to call B.S. but where else would you get a mako? now i know.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2.../1s26outdoors/
Strange fish stories follow winter storms

Bluefin tuna, mako shark come ashore

By Ed Zieralski, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
Monday, January 25, 2010 at 8:02 p.m.
/ Larry Laumann photo
This dead mako shark washed up at Marine Street in La Jolla.

It was a wild stretch on the ocean last week as big bluefin tuna and even a mako shark inexplicably washed up on beaches after winter storms kicked up giant surf along Southern California and Baja.
The bluefin tuna, a handful of which were scooped out of the surf off Imperial Beach, likely came from one of the tuna pens tended by Australians and Mexicans off the coast of Baja. Tommy Gomes of Catalina Offshore Products said he called a contact of his in that industry but no one wants to talk about a possible tuna net failure.
As strange as the bluefin story was, there was another fish story last week that still doesn’t make much sense. There were news reports of an 8-foot mako shark being caught off La Jolla, but the mako actually had washed up on Marine Street beach some time before daylight Thursday.
Larry Laumann, an expert kayak angler, was the first to find the mako when he was out filling sand bags to prevent flooding of his La Jolla home. Laumann took pictures of the mako, but some time later someone gathered it up and toted it off the beach. Laumann produced photos of the shark on the beach and then of it being hauled away in a red truck.
When a mako shark later was found on a dock in Mission Bay, its jaw and teeth cut out and carcass ripped up, Laumann figures it was too much of a coincidence. That had to be the shark he discovered shortly after dawn Thursday.
The Department of Fish and Game was called in and determined that the man who lifted it off the beach admitted to cutting off its jaw and then giving the carcass to someone else.
The man who claimed to have moved the dead shark was not cited, officials said. It is against the law to waste any sport-caught fish, but this was a dead fish found on the beach.
Laumann wonders whether the shark somehow was tied to the bluefin. He said maybe the net that held the tuna also had the mako in it before it broke.
“The mako was in pristine condition, not a mark on it,” Laumann said.
Kevin Carlson of the Long Run, a sport boat out of Harbor Island, was the first to find those 35- to 50-pound bluefin in the surf in Imperial Beach on Friday. Carlson said he ended up with five of them. Others have recovered the tuna, too.

Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote